Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After PC reset tons of programs won't respond

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Faithfulfly

Faithfulfly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

Hello, I'm using a HP 24-g020 touch All-In-One PC running Windows 10 Home.

A few months back I noticed that the touch screen stopped working (may have been due to a windows update). I didn't care much at the time but a couple days ago I wanted to fix the problem. All drivers and anything pertaining to the touch screen seems to have been removed and the Windows about page even claims that this monitor doesn't support touch.

I did a reset on the PC in hopes of fixing it and now not only is the touch screen still not working but I have a ton of programs that no longer respond. The HP support assistant, Alarms and Clock, Camera, Pictures, Groove, Task bar search bar, Calculator, Windows Store and a bunch more I'm sure.

I deleted McAfee and switched to Windows Defender in hopes that the McAfee antivirus was causing it but that didn't fix it.

The warranty expired just last month and now I have a giant mess on my hands. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing these problems? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

You didn't do your homework.  If you had you would have been made aware that a Reset will give you the choice to keep all of your personal files, but a Reset will uninstall all of your third party programs.

Don't shoot the messenger. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

One of the reasons that Reset is one of the last resorts for me is that even with the "Keep my files" option that is all it keeps.  

Given what the OP has described at this point I would make sure that I have a full backup of all my user data and do a clean Windows 10 installation using bootable media created from the ISO file that the Media Creation Tool downloads.  You could also try the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file, which include the instructions on downloading the ISO and creating bootable media if your machine is not already on Version 1703 to see if that fixes your issues.

If it does not, and given the situation you describe, I would either do a fresh install of Windows 10 or, if your system supports it (and I think it does), doing a recovery to "out of the box" state using HP System Recovery and then immediately following the instructions noted above to upgrade the system to either Version 1703 or 1709 when it becomes available in a few days.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Faithfulfly

Faithfulfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Interesting. You'd think they would warn you of something like that. It was done from within the HP Support Assistant and there was no mention of apps that came with the PC being uninstalled. Any advice on how to reinstall the programs?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

If you follow my advice on doing an out of the box system restore anything that was on the computer when you bought it will be restored.

Anything you purchased and installed yourself will need to be reinstalled by you.

You have issues going on that really indicate that a system restore, followed by an upgrade to the most recent version of Windows 10, followed by reinstalling any third party programs you need or want is the best course of action to get a functioning system again.

You will, of course, need to back up your user data files before doing this, as they are wiped by a HP System Restore to "out of box" state, which would be expected since the computer will be as it was delivered.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

Interesting. You'd think they would warn you of something like that. It was done from within the HP Support Assistant and there was no mention of apps that came with the PC being uninstalled. Any advice on how to reinstall the programs?

I am so sorry but I mean no offense, who are they? Did you use Google (or your favorite search engine) to find out in advance what these features actually do?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Faithfulfly

Faithfulfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

I downloaded the media creation tool and am in the process of creating the bootable media. My version of Windows is 1703 at the moment. After the reset last night Windows did an update on it's own to the 1703 version but it didn't fix any issues. Thanks for helping out.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

Just to clarify, doing a reinstall with the Media Creation Tool will not bring back any of your lost programs. Those will need to be reinstalled. If this was an upgrade from Windows 8 it may well be the Windows 10 update to the latest build did not include your touchscreen drivers. 

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 you could bring it back to a factory state by tapping F11 at boot, selecting Troubleshoot > HP Recovery Manager if the factory restore partition is intact.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

You should be able to go get all required drivers for your specific AIO at HP, which *should* restore touchscreen functionality...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

I downloaded the media creation tool and am in the process of creating the bootable media. My version of Windows is 1703 at the moment. After the reset last night Windows did an update on it's own to the 1703 version but it didn't fix any issues. Thanks for helping out.

Did you follow Brian's advice?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

For myself, given that the original description is that multiple programs are not responding, I would definitely do a clean install of Windows 10 before anything else.

One needs to have a system that appears to be stable and functional before ironing out kinks, if any, an that includes driver updates.  In the early days of Windows 10 I was constantly helping people to download drivers from their computer's manufacturer's support pages and I almost never do that now since the Microsoft library has vastly expanded to include most of these.  If something doesn't work then I'll go for driver downloads.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users