Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dehhhh

dehhhh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hello there! I hope someone can help me with this issue...

My pc started randomly shutting down, than powering up again right after it happens. I say it`s random because I had it happen while playing, watching movies and just browsing. Sometimes I will use the pc for hours on end without it happening, other times it will just shutdown after 10 minutes of use.

The build is around 3 years old and had never shown stability issues before. I heavily suspect it`s a power issue because of the simptons, but unfortunately I have only one PSU available.

Here goes the specs:

CPU: i5 4690k (Stock clocks, CM Hyper 212X cooler)

GPU: Gigabyte 970 GTX G1 Gaming ("Stock" clocks - factory overclocked)

MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK rev 1.0 - F8 BIOS version (latest version)

Memory: G.Skill F3-2133C10-4GXM 2x4 GB DDR3 @1067mhz

PSU: XFX XTR 550W (supposed to be a great psu)

Disks: Samsung 850 EVO  250GB

WDC BLUE WD10EZEX 1TB

I have some hwinfo64 logs

I want to be sure if it`s a hardware issue and which part I have to replace if it`s the case, can anyone help me figuring that out?

Edit: Ok, maybe it`s not as random as I have thought. It`s always shutting down when using furmark. Funny thing is it happens before really heating up my GPU?! The error code at the event viewer is always Event ID 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

Edited by dehhhh, 09 October 2017 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

As it always happens in Furmark, the next step is to try new video card drivers.

If that doesn't fix it, then the next step is to try another video card.

Furmark only stresses the video card in certain ways - not in all ways that the card is capable of.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dehhhh

dehhhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

Still the symptoms look very incompatible with those I`ve previously experienced with faulty video cards, is there a chance furmark can trigger something unrelated with the video card? I mean, is there a way to test if it`s my PSU or even the motherboard?

Edited by dehhhh, 10 October 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Furmark is a software test that tests hardware - it's only as good as the sensors/equipment that it works with.

The point here being that I haven't seen any great advances in video card testing over the last few years, but I have seen all sorts of new stuff added to video cards.

As such I have to wonder if these new additions to video cards are able to respond to tests - and if Furmark has developed new tests in order to help stress test the newer cards.

IMO the only sure test of a hardware problem with a video card is to try another video card.

Finally, I am not a hardware expert.  If you'd like to discuss this further, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

IMO there are no 100% effective tests for any components.  We use the tests to help us decide if it's worth replacing the part that we suspect is bad.
For example, there's a lot of different PSU tests and ways to test them - but, in short, if the PSU fails under load, there's no reasonable way to test one under load except by replacing it with a new one.  I hear that there are testers for this, but they cost thousands of dollars (US).
Here's some PSU test suggestions:

- PSU Testing

- and this program has a PSU test built in:  http://www.ocbase.com/

As for motherboards, there's a lot of tests out there that claim to test you motherboard - but none of them are anywhere near 100% effective.  Quite frankly, the motherboard manufacturers' don't make enough money over a board with a 3 year (or less) lifespan to develop a test for that board.  It's cheaper/easier for them to just replace the one's that get returned to them.  Most of them will ask that you do a clean install of Windows to help rule out software issues - but that's about the extent of the testing.

The only way I test motherboards is to:

1)  clean install of Windows
2)  rule out all of the other hardware (if possible), and then

3)  try another motherboard

Next, let's talk about SSD's.  There are no tests for SSD's.  You can take SMART readings, but they are wrong more often than they are right.
So, then the only ways to test an SSD are:
- try it in another system and see if the problem remains, or

- try another drive in that system (with a clean install of Windows) to see if that fixes the problem

Lastly, let's talk options here:

- replacing a video card or a PSU is fairly simple

- replacing a motherboard is more difficult and more expensive

If you purchase the parts from a shop that will let you return them for your money back, you'll be able to quickly test a video card (more quickly than a PSU).

But at some point (if it's a hardware issue) you're going to have to decide how to spend your money.  I can make suggestions, but I'm not sitting in front of your computer and there's a thousand things that could make a difference.
If you want surety, take the system to a shop and have them diagnose and repair it.  They'll warrant their work, and they won't charge you for testing other pieces of equipment (we have tester PSU's in my shop just for this purpose).

So, your options here are:

- to clean install Windows to see if it's hardware or not, or

- to run the different diagnostics to see what comes up.  What I suggest is first running all of these tests:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if all the tests pass, then you do this procedure to help locate the broken device:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

This is designed for desktop systems - as laptops have most of the components on the motherboard (so you can't test them individually).

- to take it to a shop and have them diagnose/repair it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dehhhh

dehhhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thank you for your very detailed answer, I'll try and run as many tests you mentioned as I can!

Unfortunately I'm in a country where hardware is very expensive and warranty/return policies are not respected or non-existent. As I do not own any spare parts for swap testing I`ll try finding a shop where they can run these tests on my behalf.

Thanks again!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users