Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ROUTER RECOMMENDATION NEEDED

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

I'm replacing a Netgear WNR1000v3 - N150 Wireless Router which I got in 2012 and performed fairly well until it suddenly DIED TODAY (unplugged to reset and on plugging it back in there were zero signs of life - no lights, no nothing)  .  Prior to that I had a Linksys which was a disaster so I feel comfortable staying with Netgear unless someone has a better recommendation.   I have a limited budget and found a NETGEAR R6120-100NAS - AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router for around $55.    Is this a comparable unit that will work for my relatively simple needs?   I have an I-Mac Snow Leopard I believe it is and a Windows 8.1 Laptop, a wireless Canon Printer and a Kindle Reader.  My internet service isn't the fastest but is satisfactory although the new carrier Spectrum has abysmal customer service.

My house is medium size - in summer I take my computer outside onto my patio a lot - the range on my old one seemed fine.

Anyway, I haven't the foggiest idea what I need.  I don't do gaming hi-speed or anything.   Will the  

NETGEAR R6120-100NAS - AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router

be reliable - opinions or recommendations appreciated please?    I'm in a bit of a crunch for a new one as it is now I have my MAC connected via ethernet cable - My kindle which I've grown quite fond of isn't operable at all and I'd like to get something ASAP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

The router you're considering is a major improvement over what you had, so if it fits your budget then go for it.

I recently purchased a refurbished Netgear R6200v2 AC1200, which is the immediate predecessor to the model you're looking at, and it works beautifully.  There was also the added bonus that refurbished was available and the unit was exactly as new.  See:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HO9DIG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

The router you're considering is a major improvement over what you had, so if it fits your budget then go for it.

I recently purchased a refurbished Netgear R6200v2 AC1200, which is the immediate predecessor to the model you're looking at, and it works beautifully.  There was also the added bonus that refurbished was available and the unit was exactly as new.  See:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HO9DIG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great - thanks for the info.   I think I'll pay the extra $5 - if memory serves correctly the Linksys fiasco was refurbished although I only found out later that it wasn't new as I'd thought.   Hopefully I won't have problems setting it up.  Now the trick is to get it delivered quickly.    I wonder if any office supply store might stock it - we shall see !   Thanks again.

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

These appear to be in stock locally $47 to $49 ---- how do these compare  - would they be comparable?    I MUST DECIDE whether to order or pickup - what to do?

NETGEAR N600 Wireless Router (WNDR3400)   https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/860307/Netgear-N600-RangeMax-Wireless-Dual-Band/#

NETGEAR N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router  (WNDR4500-100NAS)   https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/922702/Netgear-N900-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit/#

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

I would not be buying a Wireless N router at this point.   Everything is moving toward AC that's not already there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

I would not be buying a Wireless N router at this point.   Everything is moving toward AC that's not already there.

If I might ask - what is the "N" about???  Or is it too complicated to explain.    I guess I will order the one I originally had in mind from Amazon.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

+1

Get a router with AC standard

tfn

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

As toofarnorth has already mentioned, A, B, G, N, & AC are all standards under the 802.11 wireless umbrella from oldest to most recent (in wide use, anyway).

See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#History

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

As toofarnorth has already mentioned, A, B, G, N, & AC are all standards under the 802.11 wireless umbrella from oldest to most recent (in wide use, anyway).

See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#History

Is the AC you refer to indicative of the "AC" in the  NETGEAR R6120-100NAS - AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router we discussed previously?  I hope .....    BTW Delivery is expected tomorrow (Thursday).  Hopefully installation goes smoothly - patience with technology is not overall one of my strengths :grinner:  Thanks to you and toofamorth both for your input!

Edited by JayJax, 11 October 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Yes, the AC in AC1200 is telling you what wireless protocol (or variant on the 802.11 protocol) is being used just like N600 and N900 do (using Wireless N) for the other two you'd previously mentioned.

If you follow the instructions that come with the device for setting it up you should have no problem getting up and running in no time.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yes, the AC in AC1200 is telling you what wireless protocol (or variant on the 802.11 protocol) is being used just like N600 and N900 do (using Wireless N) for the other two you'd previously mentioned.

If you follow the instructions that come with the device for setting it up you should have no problem getting up and running in no time.

Thanks for verifying for me, appreciate your insight & info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users