Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Not Responding - No BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 katzandmice

katzandmice

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

For the last week various programs running on my laptop stop (freeze) momentarily and the text "Program Not Responding" appears at the top of the screen; such as in Word, the document name is appended with "program not responding". After a few minutes, the program starts responding again. No BSOD has occurred; just these annoying stops and starts. It looks to happen regardless of which program is running. The only commonality I can find is that I recently installed the App "MySMS" on this laptop. Nothing else has been installed or removed. I am running VIPRE Anti-Virus.

Here is what I have (basic system info):

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel® Core ™ i5-6300U CPU @ 2.4 GHz 2.50 GHz
  • Installed RAM 8.00 GB
  • System Type: 64-bit, x64 processor

Here is what I have done so far:

• Downloaded, installed, and ran CPUID HWMonitor - I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary.
  • I have ran an eventvwr.msc report - it is attached to this post as a zip file (Admin.zip). Lots of "errors" and "warnings".

Will appreciate any help at all - Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

FYI - the Admin log file is just a compilation of all the Critical, Error, and Warning events from all of the Event Viewer logs.

Lot's of errors in the Admin logfile that point to the system BIOS.
Please update that to the latest version

Even though you're not having BSOD's, please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Edited by usasma, 09 October 2017 - 08:05 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 katzandmice

katzandmice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

Thank you for the quick response. I'll run the report collecting tool as you have directed. It will be possibly about 12 hours before I may be able to post the report as I am on a business trip at the moment and will not be able to run the tool until this evening (10th). Fortunately, the "programs not responding" is, at this point, more of a nasty nuisance to me than a critical problem; at this point, thankfully, my laptop is still quite functional.

#4 katzandmice

katzandmice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

The collecting tool has been run and the report attached.
Also, a Speccy system snapshot can be found at: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N7gl0zJbTrCuZYP4co0JWYT

Thanks!

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

It appears that this is a virtual machine or is the system running from a .WIM file (a compressed image)?

It appears that the OS is mounted on a Surface Book, but is a virtual OS (from the Speccy report).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 90.1427.768) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 15063 (1703) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Beyond that, there's not much in the way of problems evident.

In most cases where that happens, it's a hardware problem.

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done with hardware on the Surface systems

So, let's start with some updates:

There appears to be some outdated firewall software on the system.

I'd first uninstall it and see if that helps (use the Windows firewall temporarily while testing)

Be sure that you visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates.

The anti-rootkit driver for Vipre (gfiark.sys) dates from shortly after W10 was released.  While I don't think it's a problem, you may want to uninstall all the VIPRE stuff to see if that helps.

The WebExaminer64.sys driver from ThreatTrack Security dates from before W10 was released.  I'd suggest uninstalling that program also.

Then, if all that doesn't work, it'll be time to try a "clean" install of Windows to rule out software as a cause:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

The point here is to rule out all of the software by installing a fresh copy of only the Microsoft software.
That, presumably, will work without troubles on stock hardware.
So, if problems do occur, then the problems must be hardware.

Is the system still under warranty?  Either way, you'll have to contact Microsoft for hardware support.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 katzandmice

katzandmice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the analysis John! I'll work through the items you identified above and see what happens. Interestingly, since I posted my first thread, there have been ZERO instances of "program not responding"! Maybe we scared it out!!?? :-)

#7 katzandmice

katzandmice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

I ran over to the Windows Updater and checked on updates - it returned the message that all updates are installed. The "Installed Updates" report showed about 20 or so over the last 11/12 months.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:43 AM

The only info I have for this is what I see in reading logs in this forum (I get the information from the systeminfo.txt report)

A large number of W10 - build 15063 (Creators Update) systems have 4 hotfixes installed, that's why I ask you to check (as your systeminfo report showed 3 hotfixes installed)

This doesn't mean that anything is wrong, but it does mean that it warrants a manual check of Windows Update to ensure that it's functioning correctly.

Also, hotfixes are different from updates - so the numbers aren't usually the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users