Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small audio delay - recordings being marginally different tempo than playback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Overkillian

Overkillian

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi. I have a mysterious problem with delay differences in my recordings.
When I record sound/voice, it is always including a small delay, being marginally paced apart from the music or tempo I record it to. I have confirmed this at all occasions, also with recordings that had the same music in the background as I had in the mix and then compared the two.

I figure if this could be because I switch between two soundcards during the recording and headset playback? SB-Live! 24-Bit and Realtek ALC888B/ALC887 b. 5.10.0.6482 (onboard).
I switch between these two in order to hear music in headphones while recording, because I can only connect the audio inputs on top of the desktop PC cabinet with my Realtek card. And my speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3) has no headphone stick on 'em. But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Some Links Which May Help.

Louis

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi. I have a mysterious problem with delay differences in my recordings.
When I record sound/voice, it is always including a small delay, being marginally paced apart from the music or tempo I record it to. I have confirmed this at all occasions, also with recordings that had the same music in the background as I had in the mix and then compared the two.

I figure if this could be because I switch between two soundcards during the recording and headset playback? SB-Live! 24-Bit and Realtek ALC888B/ALC887 b. 5.10.0.6482 (onboard).
I switch between these two in order to hear music in headphones while recording, because I can only connect the audio inputs on top of the desktop PC cabinet with my Realtek card. And my speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3) has no headphone stick on 'em. But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback.

What recording software are you using?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Overkillian

Overkillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for links, I'll try and check them out.

What recording software are you using?

I'm using Nero Wave Editor. It's always worked like a charm and it only seems to be in later years and during soundcard switch that this problem occurred.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

http://www.practical-music-production.com/audio-latency.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

"But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback"

Because different sound cards have different latencies. Using 1 of your sound devices is the wrong tool for the job, using 2 of them is a trainwreck. You can fix this problem instantly by using a proper audio interface such as the Focusrite 2i2.

#7 Overkillian

Overkillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thanks. I did imagine it was a latency problem,

How is using 1 of one's sound devices a wrong tool for the job, all audio use goes through a soundcard nevertheless, no? Because it has to be through an external audio interface? Sorry for my confusion.

Edited by Overkillian, 16 October 2017 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users