Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small audio delay - recordings being marginally different tempo than playback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Overkillian

Overkillian

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi. I have a mysterious problem with delay differences in my recordings.
When I record sound/voice, it is always including a small delay, being marginally paced apart from the music or tempo I record it to. I have confirmed this at all occasions, also with recordings that had the same music in the background as I had in the mix and then compared the two.

I figure if this could be because I switch between two soundcards during the recording and headset playback? SB-Live! 24-Bit and Realtek ALC888B/ALC887 b. 5.10.0.6482 (onboard).
I switch between these two in order to hear music in headphones while recording, because I can only connect the audio inputs on top of the desktop PC cabinet with my Realtek card. And my speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3) has no headphone stick on 'em. But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Some Links Which May Help.

Louis

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi. I have a mysterious problem with delay differences in my recordings.
When I record sound/voice, it is always including a small delay, being marginally paced apart from the music or tempo I record it to. I have confirmed this at all occasions, also with recordings that had the same music in the background as I had in the mix and then compared the two.

I figure if this could be because I switch between two soundcards during the recording and headset playback? SB-Live! 24-Bit and Realtek ALC888B/ALC887 b. 5.10.0.6482 (onboard).
I switch between these two in order to hear music in headphones while recording, because I can only connect the audio inputs on top of the desktop PC cabinet with my Realtek card. And my speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3) has no headphone stick on 'em. But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback.

What recording software are you using?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Overkillian

Overkillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for links, I'll try and check them out.

What recording software are you using?

I'm using Nero Wave Editor. It's always worked like a charm and it only seems to be in later years and during soundcard switch that this problem occurred.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

http://www.practical-music-production.com/audio-latency.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

"But I don't see how this should make the recording marginally slower or faster than the actual mix or music playback"

Because different sound cards have different latencies. Using 1 of your sound devices is the wrong tool for the job, using 2 of them is a trainwreck. You can fix this problem instantly by using a proper audio interface such as the Focusrite 2i2.

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 (TPM 2.0), i7 8700K, 32gb HyperX Fury, H100i CPU Cooler, GTX1050 Ti WindforceBenQ GL2580(H) x3, 970 PRO SSD, WD Red HDD x3, Seasonic Focus Gold 650w, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow, W10 Pro.

#7 Overkillian

Overkillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thanks. I did imagine it was a latency problem,

How is using 1 of one's sound devices a wrong tool for the job, all audio use goes through a soundcard nevertheless, no? Because it has to be through an external audio interface? Sorry for my confusion.

Edited by Overkillian, 16 October 2017 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users