Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mov files and issue with thumbnails vs icon

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I transferred some .mov files from my iphone to my laptop using Dropbox. In Dropbox, there is a green check meaning the file is completely transferred.  When I open Dropbox on my iphone, I can access the .mov files.  However, when I open Dropbox on my Windows 7 laptop, some .mov files work (everything in Sept) but some .mov files (everything from Oct 1 and on) only have audio but no video.  I was told to download LAV filter and it worked.  Now I can play the mov files after Oct.  Maybe Apple changed their video codec after Oct. 1

That brings me to the unsolveable issue.  In my folders, I have the view on large icons.  However, the Oct mov files now only show icon; they won't show thumbnail.  The older mov files from Sept and prior all show thumbnail.  Under "Tools" and "folder options" and "view" I unchecked "Always show icons, never thumbnails". But it only applied this to the Sept .mov files and not the Oct .mov files. The Oct .mov files still show an icon. How do I make them all show thumbnail? 

I wanted to see if it had anything to do with the operating system so I decided to move both mov files to my external HD. I wanted to see how these files would work with my work laptop, which is running on Win 10. Surprisingly, both mov files show thumbnails on my Windows 10 laptop. I don’t even have LAV Filter installed on my Windows 10 work laptop and all the mov files play in WMP!!!!!!

So is the issue with Windows 7 not being able to display thumbnails on the mov files shot after Oct 1, 2017 something to do with the operating system itself?  Windows 10 has no problems showing thumbnails but the Windows 7 has problems because they only show thumbnails for mov files before Oct 1, 2017. I'm confused.....

Edited by irvineboy, 09 October 2017 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users