Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 profdh

profdh

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

I was having bootup problems in Win10 and tried the CMD window with Admin authority to enter "bootrec /rebuildbcd". I got an error saying there was no command bootrec. I even tried entering "bootrec /?" for help. Got the same response.

Am I missing a system file?

I,m new to this forum, but thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key together to open the Run box.

In the Run box copy and paste cmd (Admin), then click/top OK this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hi, well if you are able to open a cmd prompt within windows, then you do not have a problem with the boot loader (windows is loaded) so what exactly is your problem? Dc3 I have not seen cmd (admin) from the run dialogue, open an elevated cmd prompt, run only recognizes cmd.

You can get bootrec to run only it needs to be from the RE cmd prompt, not from within windows, could you let us know more about your problem?

#4 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, to both of you. I was able to use the command (bootrec /rebuild) when I booted into the Recovery Environment.

BTW, I was not able to run bootrec ...  from the CMD window in Admin mode when in windows???

I created a shortcut for the cmd window and changed its properties to admin. This allows me to always run cmd in admin mode when needed.

Thanks so much.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

And??? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

My computer still boots slowly.

I will continue to checkout other solutions. I am currently looking through doing a clean boot to see if I am having program conflicts during startup. My laptop is an Asus N56V with an I-7 processor and 12 Gb of Ram. I should be able to expect it to be reasonably fast. It came with Windows 8.1, and later I took the "free" windows 10 upgrade. It seemed OK at first, but was slightly slower. Over time that has worsened.

I have a number of programs including desktop publishing, graphics and video editing. I realize that changing the OS and adding many programs creates more complicated problems.

Thanks again. If I come up with a single coherent question, I will post again.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

A Clean Boot can tell you if you have a third party service which is causing problems.  This will be of no help if the problem isn't related to a third party service.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

#8 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thanks

I am typing the URL for My SPECCY scan here because I was not able to paste it in. Even tried copying/pasting from notepad into this window???

I could copy and paste from speccy to notepad, but not from speccy to this window.

Here's the URL:    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HckMKB1RO02u4QMin0zBhjy 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

The last of the instructions for the Speccy instructs you to click/tap on Copy to Clipboard, this loads the hyperlink for the Speccy.  All you need to do is right click in the topic reply box and click/tap on Paste.  This isn't rocket science.

#10 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yes, I clicked  on the copy to clipboard in Speccy before trying to manually paste the link into the post window. When that wouldn't work, I tried pasting it into Notepad as a test. That did work. Something has disabled my abiity to copy anything from the clipboard into the post window.

I am very experienced in working with applications on both PC and Mac computers. It's troubleshooting and solving system problems that I need assistance with.

But back to the OS issue. I verified the link I typed into my previous post by pasting it into a new browser window,  and it displayed the scan results. Hopefully these are functioning from your end.

#11 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

I have gone through the clean boot. And through the process of finding the offending process. I turned all 30 of my processes off, then turned on the first 15, followed by turning on only the second 15. The slow-system condition continued with all three of the restarts.

I seriously question if there is a conflict or a damaged process file. I also ran the sfc /SCANNOW, and the Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (both in the admin command window.)

I did find a slight improvement by turning off Animations in the Taskbar for the Advanced System Properties.

Did the Speccy scan I linked in my Oct 13 post reveal any likely suspects?

I also tried Defraggler, but that didn't provide any noticeable improvement.

I am currently using McAfee for my antivirus. Could that be a possible culprit?

Would Windows Defender would be preferable?.  Does it provide comparable  protection with less computer overhead (obstruction) than McAfee. Obviously, I am thinking out loud and digressing from my original post.

If you have any suggestions that do not allude to "rocket science" they would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by profdh, 15 October 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

I'm not a fan of McAfee, especially after reading speculation that this software is being used to monitor their users.  Windows Defender is a good antivirus which I suspect would be better suited for Windows 10.

There was nothing found in the Speccy that points toward problems.  At this point I would suggest that you do a Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security, then Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

#13 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the information. I do have a number of 3rd party applications including Adobe CS5, Office 2010, Office 365, Sony Vega, Cyberlink PowerDirector et al. If I can find all the installation files and keys I will proceed.  Otherwise, I need to create some kind of backup -- like ghosting an image of my computer -- before proceeding.  I would rather be safe than sorry.

"If you jump out of a plane, make sure you have a parachute"   --   Prof DH

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

Macrium Reflect can clone this drive, you can use the cloned file to reinstall the operating system and all of the content of the hdd/sdd.

If you need instructions you can find a tutorial here.

Edited by dc3, 16 October 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#15 profdh

profdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up about Macrium Reflect. I'll try that out, I have a 3 Tb external drive to save my backup.

I uninstalled McAfee and am setting up Windows Defender.  The McAfee was included with my cable provider Spectrum,  free of charge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users