Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card went bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 csigsrfan

csigsrfan

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

I am not looking to fix the computer I am just wanting to know if this issue is just a video card issue and not a harddrive issue. I was wondering if someone could look at this video * https://youtu.be/rK8zgrxsrg4 and tell me if that is the graphic card going out or if the harddrive is messed up please. Backstory I was playing a game when the screen went black but I could still hear the computer running. So I pushed the power button on the tower and restarted. Everything was fine untill it got to the screen before it loads windows. Not sure how to say this without sounding weird but here it is I will have a screen that shows the time then a blue screen then a screen that has master with windows under it. That time it got to the blue and stuck. Now I can sometimes see (as in the video) the computer starting up and other times nothing but I can hear the computer starting up. forgot to add that the outputs are dvi and there a two of them I have tried both, have tried on old computer monitur(spelling is wrong), I do not have hdmi ports on the tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

I would restart the computer while tapping the delete key and see if you can enter the bios.

If a bios screen appears then that would let you know that the graphics card was working.

I doubt the graphics card is bad as from the video you posted it appears that it does post although fails to start.

It may very well be a corrupted OS or graphics card driver.

Edited by The-Toolman, 09 October 2017 - 05:41 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

After that video was filmed I cannot see anything when I start the computer

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

After that video was filmed I cannot see anything when I start the computer

You may very well have a bad graphics card.

If on motherboard graphics capability is available then I would remove the graphics card and try that and see what happens.

Don't know if that may be an option as you give no system specs.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

I don't know the system specs as it was not a store brought machine

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

Pull the side cover off and somewhere on the motherboard is a Brand Name and a Model Number and Rev Number.

With that you can go to the manufactures website and should be able to obtain some system information.

The only way to know what processor you have is to remove the heat sink and look at the processor itself since you now have no display.

From the original video it appears you may have an AMD processor but cat say for certain.

You can pull the graphics card and find the Brand and Model Number of that.

Edited by The-Toolman, 10 October 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#7 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

it was a homemadwe compter so i do not think that will help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users