Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clear Chrome Bookmarks on Server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hey all, I was using Firefox's "Xmarks Sync" Bookmark Syncing Program to Sync across Chrome and Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xmarks-sync/

This program was very good, though it would not preserve my Favicons in Chrome, and I love those little Favicons that tell me quickly which Bookmark I am looking for.  So I have removed it, but this is causing me troubles Getting my Chrome Bookmarks to Sync Properly again.  I Backed them up of course.  

I Removed Xmarks and Deleted All Bookmarks Across All my Chrome and Chromium Browsers.

I then Used my backup, Exported Bookmarks to Restore on my Main PC.

I went to my second pc to Sync, and was hoping that it would Sync what I just loaded onto my Main pc, but it didn't, it loaded a messed up Bookmark Backup from Google Servers.  This may be because I did not actually Click on Sync in Chrome because I thought it was doing it Automatically each time I added a bookmark.  Good thing I didn't as that would have added to the already Imported Bookmarks on my Main pc.

It seems there are still Bookmarks on the Server?  From what I understand, in order to get rid of all these bookmarks, which are old and all messed up, I would have to choose the "Reset your Chrome sync" and from what I understand this will remove all my Passwords also, but I think this will cause me a big mess.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6386691?hl=en

Apparently, there is no longer a way to Export Passwords, I'm not positive, but could not find the info myself.  I tried doing it this way before I found this Blog, and it of course did not work.  Here is a quote from Chrome Blogs:

"It appears with this version - Google has removed the flags to allow export/import of stored passwords. Not everyone wants this information stored in the cloud. My opinion, bad choice on Google' part."

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8982037438137564684&postID=8497864325744756234&isPopup=true&bpli=1&pli=1

I used two different methods of Backing up my Passwords in case I need them while doing this. 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

I also saved the "Login Data" from Chrome, but seem to have lost the pathway that I used, and don't really know for sure if this will work in the new Version of Chrome.

If there is an easier way to do this please help, I really need to get my bookmarks sorted out.  It seems to me, it would be better if they would allow us to Delete all Bookmarks, then Click on Sync to remove them from the Servers? and maybe this is the ticket, I don't know.  I guess I could try this way.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

I got it guys!  I just Deleted all bookmarks a few times and kept Syncing the Empty Bookmark Manager then Imported my Bookmarks...life is good again!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users