Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unterelsbach

unterelsbach

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

​can't open documents unless I agree to a Microsoft Word free trial.  Choosing IE as default to open all documents it can open doesn't help

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2017 - 05:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

It the documents referenced are MS Word documents...you can either use a Word viewer application or use one of the MS Office alternatives available (example, Libre Office) to midify such documents.

See Here.

See Here.

If I chose to download one of the MS Word readers...I would do so only from the Microsoft website.

Louis

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

​can't open documents unless I agree to a Microsoft Word free trial.  Choosing IE as default to open all documents it can open doesn't help

That would be absolutely normal and correct because Internet Explorer can not open these types of documents.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 10 October 2017 - 09:19 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Like hamluis has suggested, you can use Libreoffice. Please donate, they work for free.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

In case you do not find LibreOffice to your liking, other GOOD alternatives with word processors are TextMaker from SoftMaker's FreeOffice, and WPS Office; two office type programs which contain wordprocessor applications.

I found enormous benefit many years ago when I tried Jarte (which is ONLY a word processing program) , although the file extensions available for it are very limited.  It MIGHT be all you need.  Just know also that the interface might not be to everybody's liking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users