Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading multi-purpose gaming PC, due to signs of oncoming CPU failure.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Silverain

Silverain

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

Good evening.
My current desktop is a AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core, 8 Logical Processor with 8 GB of ram and an old AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series graphics card.
This is sooner than I'd like but I will be needing a replacement for the new year as throughout this year the machine has been overheating at increasing consistent rates even when completely cleaned out and with new paste applied. I've tried moving it to areas of better ventilation and using alternative pastes but the signs are clear, the CPU is on its way out and I can't fit a better heatsink in to prevent it.

I use my PC as pretty much a everyday tool listening to music online, jobsearching, email, watching Youtube videos, gaming and video editing. I tend to play older games but would like to have a system that could at least handle some of the new releases even if it was simply at average quality.

Whilst I've built a few PC's from scratch its always been with provided parts, I have a real blind spot for PC specs and really no matter how often I've tried to read up on it its all just a blur of numbers and abbreviations so while its a more expensive option I am willing to go with a prebuilt PC if needed though I really do not want windows 10.

Laptop or Desktop?
Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:
£1500, can go over at a push but like to avoid this.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Overall multi-purpose focusing on web browsing, gaming and video editing.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Mostly games but also video editing and recording software, paint.net, teamspeak, skype, open office or Microsoft office and free antivirus such as avast (though seeking alternatives due to changes in avast). I will be also learning Sage from home.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I play a variety of games mostly favouring grand strategies such as Crusader King 2 and Stellaris, I do like first person RPGs such as Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas but have been unable to play them due to cpu issues. 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I try to be economic in my program management closing programs when not needed but on occasion I am required to have 3-5 programs running at once when video recording for example: Open Broadcasting Software, Teamspeak or skype, Steam and whatever game I am playing along with general background programs such as antivirus and antispyware programs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Approximately 10GB in assorted images, music and recorded video out of 930 GB... So not really?

Will you be overclocking?
No due to limit knowledge in the area and not wishing to possibly damage hardware as a result

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
UK

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?
I have already obtained:
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional
Peripherals: Recording Microphone, headset, speakers.

I do need a good CPU fan or heatsink but I do not want a liquid cooling system due to various horror stories I've seen when they go wrong..

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
Repeated CPU overheating issues requiring thermal paste replacement at increasing short intervals, unable to improve standard provided cooling fan due to lack of space in case. Also Graphic card becoming increasing dated and again unable to upgrade due to lack of space on motherboard/in case.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2017 - 03:04 PM.
Moved from Buying New to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Whilst I've built a few PC's from scratch its always been with provided parts, I have a real blind spot for PC specs and really no matter how often I've tried to read up on it its all just a blur of numbers and abbreviations so while its a more expensive option I am willing to go with a prebuilt PC if needed though I really do not want windows 10.

So this means you can build PC yourself if we choose parts?

What monitor you have or do you need new one?

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

I sense an R5-1600/B350/16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz-based build forthcoming, which is quite affordable these days.....perhaps $350-$400 with careful shopping on Amazon or equivalent... 

(Alas, the less expensive H270/B360 series variant for i5-8400 won't be out till months from now.....)

There are a few tutorials on Youtube how to do a 3rd party patch to make WIn7 work with later unsupported chipsets/systems, enabling all WIndows updates/security patches, etc, but it might take a bit of reading/researching, but, can be done

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Silverain

Silverain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

So this means you can build PC yourself if we choose parts?

What monitor you have or do you need new one?

For the most part yes, I've put together quite a few PC's though I've never done anything with liquid cooling, everytime my friends have tried to build a machine with liquid cooling something has gone wrong so I'm just avoiding that unless its pre-built in. (I would be worried about how to maintain though)

I've an old AMW 19" LCD Monitor M19DW which has served me well for quite a while now, I'm hoping to avoid replacing it also as it would cut into the budget.

Edited by Silverain, 08 October 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#5 Silverain

Silverain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

I sense an R5-1600/B350/16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz-based build forthcoming, which is quite affordable these days.....perhaps $350-$400 with careful shopping on Amazon or equivalent... 

(Alas, the less expensive H270/B360 series variant for i5-8400 won't be out till months from now.....)

There are a few tutorials on Youtube how to do a 3rd party patch to make WIn7 work with later unsupported chipsets/systems, enabling all WIndows updates/security patches, etc, but it might take a bit of reading/researching, but, can be done

It seems I missed last years announcement about Windows 7 and 8.1 not been updated for future processors... that does cause me a few issues though this isn't the first time I've had the run around due to stupid Microsoft decisions. I just hope the walkthroughs to installing the patches are relatively simple and clear.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

There are several tutorials, some done quite recently (within last 2 weeks) by Carey Holzman on Youtube....

So far (wiggling fingers in Dr. Evil-like fashion!) the Win7 patch works, but, there's no certainty it won't be broken by some Win7 update in the future.... 

Win10 is certainly far easier....

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Regarding your current rig's issues? Are the core temps causing it, or overheating VRM circuitry? Reapply paste, monitor core temps? Often, if it's a ' VRM overheats', this can be solved by aiming a small $4 case fan across the mainboard phase regulators/power transistors, etc....

If still happy with current system, other than it freezing, etc...; can't hurt to take a simple stab or two, giving you more options/flexibility on when to upgrade....(vs. *must* upgrade because of freezing, etc.)

#8 Silverain

Silverain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Regarding your current rig's issues? Are the core temps causing it, or overheating VRM circuitry? Reapply paste, monitor core temps? Often, if it's a ' VRM overheats', this can be solved by aiming a small $4 case fan across the mainboard phase regulators/power transistors, etc....

If still happy with current system, other than it freezing, etc...; can't hurt to take a simple stab or two, giving you more options/flexibility on when to upgrade....(vs. *must* upgrade because of freezing, etc.)

There are several tutorials, some done quite recently (within last 2 weeks) by Carey Holzman on Youtube....

So far (wiggling fingers in Dr. Evil-like fashion!) the Win7 patch works, but, there's no certainty it won't be broken by some Win7 update in the future.... 

Win10 is certainly far easier....

My biggest issue is that many of my games are not Windows 10 compatible and I just can't stand using it as an OS (then throw in all the unsavoury data harvesting that you can't quite turn off, I know I'll have to upgrade eventually but I'm waiting till Windows 7 support fully stops if I can).

However if I just bite the bullet and get 10 now what would be my options?

Also it is a Core Temp but I'll most likely need to update in the next year or two anyway, its not an urgent issue but I am looking at my options before it becomes one.  

Edited by Silverain, 09 October 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

It seems I missed last years announcement about Windows 7 and 8.1 not been updated for future processors... that does cause me a few issues though this isn't the first time I've had the run around due to stupid Microsoft decisions. I just hope the walkthroughs to installing the patches are relatively simple and clear.

Windows 7 runs just fine with current CPU's (at least Ryzen).

If I understood right, you can build computer yourself? There is no real need for watercooling.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 09 October 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#10 Silverain

Silverain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Windows 7 runs just fine with current CPU's (at least Ryzen).

If I understood right, you can build computer yourself? There is no real need for watercooling.

I can build a computer myself and if for whatever reason I have an issue I do have a few friends who are also experienced (apart from a mention watercooling issues), thank you for the help so far .

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Right now memory prices are very high and partly because of that, also video card prices are high. So it's pretty good idea to use your current video card until prices calm down. Also with current monitor, video card is quite OK.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nb9PwV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nb9PwV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (£197.12 @ More Computers)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£120.27 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£104.87 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.80 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £886.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-10 20:22 BST+0100

CPU: Quite fast and affordable octa core. It's not bad idea to upgrade it later to Ryzen 2. In that case, cheaper hexa core is also good choice https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mV98TW/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbaebox
CPU cooler: Ryzen boxed cooler is OK. Usually boxed coolers are trash, but Ryzen's are pretty good
Motherboard: Solid motherboard with excellent VRM
Memory: Quite cheap 16GB kit
Storage: Fast SSD and 2TB HDD
Case: Cheap, "older" version of Fractal R series, but IMO better than newer R5.
PSU: Solid 80+ gold PSU with silent fan curve (semi passive so no fan noise on low loads to be exact)

Spare rest of the budget to later upgrades (CPU, GPU, monitor).

#12 Silverain

Silverain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Right now memory prices are very high and partly because of that, also video card prices are high. So it's pretty good idea to use your current video card until prices calm down. Also with current monitor, video card is quite OK.

CPU: Quite fast and affordable octa core. It's not bad idea to upgrade it later to Ryzen 2. In that case, cheaper hexa core is also good choice https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mV98TW/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbaebox
CPU cooler: Ryzen boxed cooler is OK. Usually boxed coolers are trash, but Ryzen's are pretty good
Motherboard: Solid motherboard with excellent VRM
Memory: Quite cheap 16GB kit
Storage: Fast SSD and 2TB HDD
Case: Cheap, "older" version of Fractal R series, but IMO better than newer R5.
PSU: Solid 80+ gold PSU with silent fan curve (semi passive so no fan noise on low loads to be exact)

Spare rest of the budget to later upgrades (CPU, GPU, monitor).

This is excellent, thank you for breaking it down into laymen terms for me and looking to reducing price by cannibalising old parts.

I'll use this as build to start from (or turn to in case my desktop finally just dies on me) and try to last out until I can see the price for the Ryzen 2, I've a couple of friends who tend to look for new parts around December/January sales. I might be able to get a more up to date GPU or monitor through them. 

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

Yep. You could also use your current HDD instead that 2TB HDD if you really don't need space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users