Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly-Built Computer can't Install Windows

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sean101v

sean101v

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Sorry if this thread is posted in the wrong forum-- I don't know if my issue involves hardware or software. 

My Parts list:[/size]
CPU - Intel Core i3 6100 3.7GHz[/size]
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050ti[/size]
MB - Gigabyte B250M-DS3H Motherboard [/size]
PSU - EVGA 450BV 450-Watt Power Supply [/size]
HDD - 500GB Seagate HDD [/size]
RAM - 8GB Crucial RAM. [/size]
All parts were purchased brand new and were deemed compatible by PCPartPicker.[/size]

I'm able to boot it and get into the BIOS, and it stays in there and everything seems fine, but if I load a Windows installation DVD/USB, the computer will show the blue Windows logo. I'll see the dots at the bottom start to load and all of a sudden the computer shuts off completely. A few seconds later, it turns back on.[/size]

There's no operating system. I just built it, so there's nothing on it yet.[/size]

Parts I've tested and I know are working:[/size]

- Power Supply (Tested in another computer)[/size]
- GPU (Tested in another computer)[/size]
- RAM (Ran Memtest and everything was fine)[/size]
- HDD (Tested in another computer)[/size]
- Very likely the motherboard (RMA'd it and they said it was fine)[/size]

Things I've done to try to fix it:[/size]
  • I RMA'd the motherboard and the same one was sent back because Gigabyte claimed there were 'no issues'.
  • I've tried another 650-Watt Power supply coming directly from another working computer, and it shows the same result.
  • I've tried several different Windows 10 USBs and DVDs, and I've also tried them on another computer and they work fine. I've also tried various versions of Linux yet none boot.
  • The CPU temp, when it's sitting in the BIOS, is 37C (Around 91F).
  • There is a stock Intel CPU cooler with thermal paste. The case has an extra 2 fans. I don't think overheating is an issue.
https://s26.postimg.org/y8rtqm455/20170915_202700.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/6zggc4321/20170915_202820.jpg

Additional Info:[/size]

Latest MB revision. I took the whole thing apart and put it back together again. Took out CMOS battery for 10min and put back in. [/size]

I was able to boot from a USB drive with Windows 7 into Safe Mode. You can't install Windows through Safe Mode however. I enabled boot logging and here's the log it gave me: https://pastebin.com/w31bDEqy

Yes, all cables are plugged in correctly (8-pin 12v, 24-pin, CPU Cooler, etc.)[/size]

This is a bit of a long read, but I'm seriously stuck here. This was my first computer build for myself, and I was planning on finishing the build late August. I even sold my MacBook Pro to get the money for this build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/size]

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2017 - 03:11 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Make new media via the above site...

Remove the GTX1050, and use the integrated video initially....; you can install the GTX1050 after getting all chipset drivers installed, Windows updates, etc...

IF using USB installation media, stick with native 2.0 ports direct from the mainboard vice front USB 3.0 headers, which might not function perfectly before chipset drivers installed....

Drop down to one stick of RAM in required 2nd slot, if necessary, running all defaults/auto, relatively low DDR4 speed (2133 is typical)

See if that gets you anywhere....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hi,

I made a new USB with the tool you used, took out the 1050ti, and plugged the USB into the native ports and sadly it makes no difference.

(I only have 1 stick of RAM)

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

just wondering...I see you are using an HDD (as opposed to an SSD); check to see if your BIOS is set to AHCI; if so, reset back to IDE and see if that helps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

just wondering...I see you are using an HDD (as opposed to an SSD); check to see if your BIOS is set to AHCI; if so, reset back to IDE and see if that helps.

Hi,

Yeah, I am using an HDD. When I was building, I was running out of money so I had to get a HDD until I'm able to buy an SSD. The options in my BIOS only specify "AHCI" and "Intel RST". I can't find IDE anywhere.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Ok, so which are you set to, RST or AHCI?  If RST, try switching to AHCI. If still no joy, you can switch back again.  The BIOS should always be available even if Windows won't install.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

Ok, so which are you set to, RST or AHCI?  If RST, try switching to AHCI. If still no joy, you can switch back again.  The BIOS should always be available even if Windows won't install.

I've tried both, neither worked. I've also tried with no HDD at all, I can't even boot up the Windows USB, so I don't think HDDs have anything to do with it

Edited by sean101v, 08 October 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

In your UEFI settings look for something called Fastboot. If enabled disable it. Did you try only one stick of RAM in each slot?

#9 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

In your UEFI settings look for something called Fastboot. If enabled disable it. Did you try only one stick of RAM in each slot?

It's already disabled; I only have one 8GB stick of RAM, and I did try it in each slot.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

Ok, so you can boot to the BIOS/CMOS screen, but cannot get any operating system to load. Have you tried loading a virtual distro that totally by-passes any drive, such as Memtest? You posted earlier that you did run Memtest successfully on your memory. Have you tried running a small OS like Puppy Linux (or any other)?

[EDIT]: Please post the make & model of your mainboard

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 October 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#11 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

Ok, so you can boot to the BIOS/CMOS screen, but cannot get any operating system to load. Have you tried loading a virtual distro that totally by-passes any drive, such as Memtest? You posted earlier that you did run Memtest successfully on your memory. Have you tried running a small OS like Puppy Linux?

Yup, I was not able to run Puppy Linux, but Memtest ran fine. Also, just as a note, I can run the Windows setup in Safe Mode too. I can do that by taking a Windows 7 USB (since Win7 is the only Win OS that has this feature) and rapidly press F8, I can press safe mode and the USB runs fine. I can even install, but then it asks to restart and then I can't finish the installation.

#12 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

If you want, you can take a look at my Pastebin in bold in my post, it's the "boot debug" log that I created by pressing F8, and pressing "Enable boot logging". As you can see, a bunch of drivers fail right before the computer turns off-- Not sure if that's normal or not.

#13 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

So, I decided to upload a snippet of a video I took awhile back showing what exactly happens. As you can see, it is just the motherboard with the CPU + CPU cooler, 1 stick 8GB RAM, and the power supply connectors. I would also like to note that when the screen goes from Windows to blank, the MB lights and CPU fan stop spinning completely, before starting back up again a few seconds later.

Video: https://youtu.be/bwrLEuVfVV4

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Ok, you did it right, a benchbuild,that was going to be my next suggestion.

This board is not acting right. My suggestion is to try to call Gigabyte directly and contact their customer service. Despite what they previously said, this is not normal. Also tell them that you contacted Bleeping Computer and was offered suggestions but even that did not help.

If they refuse you again, ask to speak to a supervisor. Despite the fact that most try to fend you off, you must stay on the phone until you get someone who understands something. Email the link to the video you made; run Memtest again and make a screenshot or photo of the test screen to verify your memory tested correct.

Unfortunately, I have no more suggestions to offer.

#15 sean101v

sean101v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

20170915_212749.jpg

Here's a picture of the memtest

Ok, you did it right, a benchbuild,that was going to be my next suggestion.

This board is not acting right. My suggestion is to try to call Gigabyte directly and contact their customer service. Despite what they previously said, this is not normal. Also tell them that you contacted Bleeping Computer and was offered suggestions but even that did not help.

If they refuse you again, ask to speak to a supervisor. Despite the fact that most try to fend you off, you must stay on the phone until you get someone who understands something. Email the link to the video you made; run Memtest again and make a screenshot or photo of the test screen to verify your memory tested correct.

Unfortunately, I have no more suggestions to offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users