Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Base Separating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dyingspecies

dyingspecies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post...)

My family has had a Toshiba laptop for 3 1/2 years. It's had some bumps and bruises, but nothing too serious has happened until a few months ago.
Someone tripped on the computer cord while it was plugged in. The main problem it caused was that the bottom half of the computer base became separated from the top half (due to the cord port being shifted). A few days later the computer "magically" fixed itself and looked fairly normal.
However, today I was closing the computer as I normally would when the opposite corner popped out for seemingly no reason!
I don't know how to fix this. Is it worth taking in to a shop? The computer still runs normally; it's just the outside.
If I try to close it, it makes an awful cracking sound so I don't want to try closing it again.
Some pictures of the predicament below.

https://imgur.com/a/ZACAs

https://imgur.com/vjFwjMo

Edited by dyingspecies, 08 October 2017 - 01:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

looks like your going to need a new lower frame and possible a top half and hinge assembly... you can find new replacement parts on ebay

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Even if, as Joe_C suggests, you can source the parts on e-bay or elsewhere you are looking at quite a lot of work.

Since you say the computer is still working normally, can you afford the inconvenience of keeping it open ?  Failing that it would be much simpler to consider replacing it. An option to consider.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users