Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not running correctly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Grantyy

Grantyy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi, thanks for your time!
Ok I admit to downloading a game which I shouldn't have done, I haven't done that before and this is why I believe I have been infected. I have learnt my lesson :(
The game was Sims 4 and the release was compressed by Fitgirl who I read was safe if that helps any, once it was downloaded i could not delete it as it kept saying it was linked to a temp file or something, maybe DCS? 
I booted to safe mode to try to remove but the computer failed to load windows altogether and in fact I had trouble even getting the manufacturer load screen, it seems to favor the HDMI port on the graphics card but also the motherboard VGA, I usually use the graphics VGA as my main.
I've had a longstanding prob of not being able to access the windows recovery options or bios on startup as the keyboard was not recognised so due to this issue I went and got a cheap PS/2 keyboard as I believed my USB was not registering on start up but despite getting into bios once and I'm not sure how as it fails 99% of the time, pressing F7 or delete will only result in a black screen with Windows not loading. I've tried swapping between the 3 connections and believed it would default to the mobo but it's just a black screen on all?
Once I got into safemode after many restarts I managed to get windows to roll back, yet before safe mode it said there where no points to go back to. It seemed to remove the game but currently the PC will not load up every time.
Avast did an update immediately after the restart which required a restart and there was a new icon on the desk top? I thought I'd fixed the issue before that but I did wonder if a virus could take control of anti virus progs?
So as it stands windows sometimes crashes upon loading and sometimes stops at a black screen especially if I try to access setup/boot, also Windows explorer seems fragile, I tried copying photos to my spare HD and it kept freezing but would work again if i restarted exp through task manager.
All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Grantyy, 08 October 2017 - 07:00 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Update
I have managed to correct the issues with the graphics card to an extent, Maybe theres a coincidence and it actually was loose though it seemed to be in correctly but after reinserting it the computer is loading more reliably but sometimes hangs or freezes at the startup lock screen and has also crashed once when playing the game mentioned above. (I signed up legitimately to the EA yearly offer which gives quite a few free games which is what I should have done in the first place)
The main two issues are firstly if I am infected?
There were no issues whatsoever other than the disk usage sometimes hitting 100% (resolved it mostly by following online guides) and memory usage getting quite high sometimes too. So to have downloaded what looked to me like a bad file and to then have the above issues seems a little too much coincidence?
Secondly
Its been a fairly long time since I reinstalled Windows as I still cannot get into bios, or setup to repair or reinstall windows. I wonder if disconnecting the dedicated Graphics would force the screen to show up? As I just get a black screen and windows fails to load I assume it is accessing setup or bios but for some reason failing to show the screen on my Monitor or TV?
I'm not sure a repair on Windows would remove a virus though would it? and with the issues copying files I have atm I would struggle to save what must be 5000 or so family photos and many videos. That issue could be with the External WD HD but I have noticed hang ups when moving files on the standard HD too. I have regular maintenance set up on the main drive.

Edited by Grantyy, 11 October 2017 - 09:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users