Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BenQ GL2460 Monitor - Connecting PC Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

Could you please advise if it is possible to connect external PC speakers directly to my BenQ GL2460 monitor?  There is a green hole for "line out" on the back of the monitor.  However, if this for connecting PC speakers or headphones only (manual refers to headphones, as below)?  I'm using Logitech Z120 Speakers, which use a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.manuals365.com/swf/benq/gl2460hm_en.html?page=11

"You may connect headphones to the headphone jack found next to the Line In jack of the monitor."

Other info:

I am using a HDMI connection for picture.  The monitor has built-in speakers but I don't use them as their sound quality is poor.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

I don't believe you can connect external speakers to the monitor. I think the line out is only for headphones and don't think it would power your external speakers. If this is a desktop is there a reason you are not using the computer's speaker jack? 

I think this is something Benq support could better answer.

Here is your manual in PDF format if you do not have it.

http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/gl2460/downloads/

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

Normally I would expect an output that will drive headphones will operate powered speakers, since they have an amplifier to deliver speaker level sound from a line or headphone output.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

If this is a desktop is there a reason you are not using the computer's speaker jack?

Currently I am connecting my PC speakers to the computer's speaker jack and it works fine.  However, I am considering getting an Android TV box to use with the monitor/speakers and some boxes do not have an audio line out (unlike a PC).  Someone mentioned to me that I could "use the headphone output on the monitor as you can then run the sound through the HDMI cable to the monitor".

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

I guess the only way to find out would be to try the external speakers on the line out of the monitor. I don't think it would damage the monitor if the speakers did not work.

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

I asked BenQ support via e-mail and their reply was:

"Technically there's not difference between headphone and speakers, you should be able to connect them without any problems."

For the time being I have left the speakers connected to the PC.  However, it is good to know that connecting speakers directly to the monitor looks feasible - if it becomes needed in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users