Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gandalf196

Gandalf196

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Recently, I've been getting a lot of DNS-related errors when using Chrome, such as DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG (I have to reload some pages multiple times). 
SFC/scanfile on dnsapi.dll reports errors, but cannot fix them (although sfc /scannow, without targetting a single file, finds no corrupt files). Malwarebytes scan on C, with rootkits enabled, finds no harmful files.

Am I infected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imnot

imnot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

Hey, did you try to change DNS server address?

#3 imnot

imnot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:46 AM

Try to replace your existing DNS with following

Preferred DNS address: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

If it doesn't work, then give a try to 

Preferred DNS address: 205.67.222.222 

Alternate DNS server: 205.67.220.220

I was also getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG, and this solution worked on my Windows 10 PC.

There are couple more solutions which I didn't try since it already fixed my problem. But you can check here if needed - https://www.mobipicker.com/dns-probe-finished-bad-config/

#4 Gandalf196

Gandalf196
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Try to replace your existing DNS with following

Preferred DNS address: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

That did the trick! Thank you! However, I must insist, does someone have an explanation for this:

SFC/scanfile on dnsapi.dll reports errors, but cannot fix them (although sfc /scannow, without targetting a single file, finds no corrupt files).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users