Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

i have an older windows XP computer, i have recently started using linux mint on it from a USB stick,

what i would like to do is install linux mint on the hard drive and give the option to boot mint or xp during startup without affecting any of the xp system or files,

is this possible?....if so, how?

Edited by mikey11, 08 October 2017 - 07:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

That is simple to do on an XP machine. One thing I should mention is to defrag before installing Mint. Another is that Windows XP was shut down...not in sleep or hibernation mode before booting into

the USB stick.

Here is a link and I have copied some of its content below. How to install Linux Mint on your XP PC | ZDNet

Once you have the Mint display up, one of your icon choices on the left will be to install Mint. Double-click it and you'll be on your way.

You'll need to walk your way through several menu choices. Most of these decisions will be easy. For example, the language do you want Mint to be installed in and the time zone are you in. The one critical choice will be how to partition your hard drive.

Partitioning a hard drive can become very complicated, but fortunately, there's an easy choice that will let you dual-boot both XP and Mint. Simply pick the first option on the Installation Type menu: Install Linux Mint alongside them.

This procedure will install Linux Mint next to your existing XP system and leave it totally untouched. When I do this, I usually give half the drive, or half the remaining drive space to Mint.You'll be asked to choose which operating system you want do boot by default.  No matter which one you pick, you will also have a few seconds to decide to boot into the other operating system.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

That is simple to do on an XP machine. One thing I should mention is to defrag before installing Mint. Another is that Windows XP was shut down...not in sleep or hibernation mode before booting into

the USB stick.

Here is a link and I have copied some of its content below. How to install Linux Mint on your XP PC | ZDNet

Once you have the Mint display up, one of your icon choices on the left will be to install Mint. Double-click it and you'll be on your way.

You'll need to walk your way through several menu choices. Most of these decisions will be easy. For example, the language do you want Mint to be installed in and the time zone are you in. The one critical choice will be how to partition your hard drive.

Partitioning a hard drive can become very complicated, but fortunately, there's an easy choice that will let you dual-boot both XP and Mint. Simply pick the first option on the Installation Type menu: Install Linux Mint alongside them.

This procedure will install Linux Mint next to your existing XP system and leave it totally untouched. When I do this, I usually give half the drive, or half the remaining drive space to Mint.You'll be asked to choose which operating system you want do boot by default.  No matter which one you pick, you will also have a few seconds to decide to boot into the other operating system.

thanks, so basically it does it all on its own when i click on install mint on the desktop?

i don't need to create another partition myself manually?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

During the install you will have the chance to choose how much space to allocate for Windows. You don't need to pre-partition the drive before booting into

the flash drive.

Video is worth a thousand words....:)

FromXPtoLinux(06) Install Linux Mint (Dual Boot) - YouTube

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

thanks, so basically it does it all on its own when i click on install mint on the desktop?

i don't need to create another partition myself manually?

That depends, we need to know first how many Primary Partitions you have?  If you already have Four, and you try to "Install Along Side" as Buddy is saying, you could lose everything.  Backup all your files, and make sure you have some way of Recovering XP if you want to keep it.

To get Partition info from XP follow this Tutorial by Hollowface

Partition Info from Linux use THIS.  You will see what the outcome looks like in the post below mine.

Here is a little tutorial in case you need it

1. Open Terminal, Ctrl+alt+t will bring up Terminal, if it don't just Click on Menu and you will see the Terminal under “System” in Mint.  Or in Ubuntu's, Open Launcher and Type Terminal.

2. For Linux Mint, Copy Paste this Command into Terminal and Hit Enter.
inxi -Fxz

3. For Ubuntu's use
sudo lshw -short

4. Then Click “Edit” in upper Left of Terminal > Click “Select All” > Click “Edit” > Click “Copy” > Then in your Post, Click the "Code" Box at Top Middle of your Post, which looks like this “< >” and “Ctrl+V” Pasting into the Code Box, or, just into the Body your next Post will be fine also.

5. Do the same for the Partition info but use this command.
sudo parted -l

Edited by pcpunk, 09 October 2017 - 07:50 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

If this is a desktop computer I would suggest dual booting using two separate hard drives.

One hard drive with Windows XP as it is now.

One hard drive with Linux Mint installed.

I have a desktop set up that way and to install Linux I simply disconnected the Windows hard drive and connected the hard drive that I was going to install Linux on and installed Linux on it.

I then reconnected both drives.

Restart the computer and see if a boot menu comes up with the option to boot from either hard drive.

OR

You can go into bios settings and set which hard drive is the first boot.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hey, The-Toolman.

Y'know, Puppy actually makes things even more simple. I've got two drives in my big old desktop. A large HDD for all my Pups (and data).....and a small SSD (re-purposed from my laptop) which has Anti-X installed on it, with it's own GRUB bootloader on the same drive.

In Puppy's Grub4DOS bootloader, I've simply 'chain-loaded' Anti-X's GRUB into the menu list. That way, I can boot off either drive from the one boot menu.

Makes life very simple.....yet keeps the installs totally separate. So, yes; I agree with ya. Dual drives really is the safest way to go. Disconnect XP's drive while installing Mint on the other. You can re-connect, and figure out what way you want to boot them after everything's installed.....it's not as though there's a lack of options out there.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 October 2017 - 08:10 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

If this is a desktop computer I would suggest dual booting using two separate hard drives.

One hard drive with Windows XP as it is now.

One hard drive with Linux Mint installed.

I have a desktop set up that way and to install Linux I simply disconnected the Windows hard drive and connected the hard drive that I was going to install Linux on and installed Linux on it.

I then reconnected both drives.

Restart the computer and see if a boot menu comes up with the option to boot from either hard drive.

OR

You can go into bios settings and set which hard drive is the first boot.

+1! :thumbup2:

This is the safest way to keep XP (untouched) while having Linux Mint also. Eventually you'll find yourself booting more & more into Mint & far less into XP (as I did over 9 years back), then should you decide to ditch XP, can simply remove or disconnect (remove both power & data cables) from the drive for safekeeping. :)

Later on, I imaged the XP drive with Macrium Reflect onto an external & used the drive to have more space for Linux Mint, as the original I used as small (20 GiB). Back then, many Linux distros shipped to be burned to CD's, now the ISO's requires DVD's or 2 GiB or larger USB stick. As an alternative & what I do, is use a 2 GiB SD card on a USB card reader, has been formatted & used countless times, a steal at 99 cents. :)

Enjoy Linux Mint, as I have for a long time, haven't used a Windows install to make transactions for years (since 2012). :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Enjoy Linux Mint, as I have for a long time, haven't used a Windows install to make transactions for years (since 2012). :thumbsup:

Cat

Me to as I haven't used a Windows OS to do any personal sensitive transactions on since I have migrated to Linux and although not 100% bulletproof I just feel better about using Linux over the Windows. :)

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

@mikey11

Once you have your dual boot set up, you may want to look at this.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608535/if-you-absolutely-have-to-use-dual-boot/

It's a trick to set your boot loader to automatically choose the last OS used.

Very helpful if you make a change to Widows, and have to reboot, but Linux is set as your default OS.

Cheers!

Naught

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:24 AM

Naught, Thanks for the link, have responded to bump the Topic to be seen today, newbies learning Linux while keeping Windows as a safe default for now, as well as Linux veterans that toggles between both needs to know this! :thumbsup:

Will be implementing the code on my dual boot computers so that what you covered can be accomplished w/out issue. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

. . . implementing the code on my dual boot computers . . .

So . . .  An old dog can teach a new trick!  :)

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users