Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad_system_config_info

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wayno2208

wayno2208

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

I installed a program into my laptop and McAfee didn't even run a scan to check download! The computer crashed and every time I tried to restart it I got the blue screen with the above message. Have tried to run in safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt but still got same msg.
Ran "startup repair" but got msg. Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.
Ran the 3 boot options but still went to blue screen with dame msg.
Have run a Windows 7 42 bit repair disc but still went back to same message.
What program can I download onto a USB on a friend's computer to at least open mine in safe mode to uninstall the program that is causing Windows not to load? Please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

Did you try "Last Known Good Configuration" after pressing F8 after Bios screen / before windows screen ? In the Options:

And what was the Program you Installed ?

Have you Backed Up any Personal Files , you can do this by slaving the the Drive to a working PC with any Linux Distro - ISO burnt to disc and boot from it.

Otherwise a reinstall of the Operating System should fix the issue.

Otherwise others may have more Input to assist you.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Windows Vista/ 7/8/8.1/10 keep a regular backup of the registry handy in case you need to overwrite a corrupted registry. By default, the RegIdleBackup task runs every 10 days, so that’s as far back as you would lose if you replaced the current registry with the automatically backed-up files. You can find the backed-up registry files in \Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and for each command you have typed press Enter key.

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SAM         SAM.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM      SYSTEM.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY    SECURITY.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT     DEFAULT.BAK

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE    SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM         C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM      C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY    C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT     C:\windows\system32\config

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE    C:\windows\system32\config

This procedure assumes that Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is installed to the C:\ partition. Make sure to replace C:\ drive letter to the appropriate Windows OS installed partition drive letter if it is a different location.

Above commands renames the registry files at their existing location, and then copies the registry files from the RegBack folder to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 wayno2208

wayno2208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Cannot even boot system, still getting same msg

#5 wayno2208

wayno2208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Laptop came with Windows Home Premium already installed so don't have installation disc.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

What program did you install...from which website?

Louis

#7 wayno2208

wayno2208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

I can't remember, but it was something to do with getting freeview tv (Au) installed on laptop. I believe there is a new virus hidden in the back of some downloads, that's why McAfee didn't pick it up😣. I have tried everything suggested and even went to a friends computer and downloaded Windows repair programs, but the computer won't run them! Still comes up with the same msg. Bad_System_Config_Info on a blue screen! Cannot run Startup Repair, any Safe Mode won't open, ran 3 "Boot" options, still the same. Tried to run Windows 7 32 bit repair disc, but comp. won't read them! I am only on a pension so can't really afford specialized help. Microsoft wants to charge me heaps to fix the problem, which they 'reckon' they can do, but, I am begging help from anyone with ideas. I have run everything available on the system and nothing works. Can somebody please suggest a download or something to get past the error?

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

If the registry is afflicted because of the installation from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu you should choose Last Known Good Configuration which will attempt to boot Windows using system settings that were saved the last time the system booted successfully.

[attachment=198638:Untitled.jpg]

Normally I would only suggest LKGC after a driver installation results in a no boot scenario but TechNet says:

The result of choosing LKG is the rolling back of the system’s registry configuration to reflect that of when the system last booted successfully.

That might work and you did not say if you have chosen that from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu (already suggested by Havachat).

Most OEM systems do not come from the factory with genuine bootable Windows installation media so before suggesting a solution that requires that it would be good to find out first what is handy and if the system has a working CD/DVD drive or not.  But no community forums I have seen ever ask those time saving questions up front resulting in many wasted message cycles.

To be able to help anybody, I would always assume that nobody has a genuine Windows installation CD and nobody has ever bothered to create a Repair Disk and that the system might not have a working CD/DVD drive.  Now how are you going to fix it?

Knowing that many folks are not going to have bootable media on hand it would be useful to also have on plan for some way from some other system to create bootable Windows media in both CD/DVD and USB format for systems that might not have a functional CD/DVD drive.

You are not going to be able to boot on something to uninstall the unspecified program you suspect is the problem.

If a friend has a Windows 7 system of the same architecture as yours (32 or 64-bit) they can make a Repair Disk for you.  They don't have to have the same Windows Edition (Pro, Home, etc.) as yours but do have to have the same architecture (32 or 64-bit).

Windows 7: System Repair Disc - Create

Then can boot on that into the System Recovery Options and see if a System Restore will work or from a Command Prompt proceed with the registry replacement suggested by FreeBooter (if that's the problem).

Then when you are running smoothly again you can work on creating your self a bootable Windows 7 SP1 installation CD (everybody should have one).

Edited by joseibarra, 08 October 2017 - 06:34 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected for malware check.

Louis

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I can't remember, but it was something to do with getting freeview tv (Au) installed on laptop. I believe there is a new virus hidden in the back of some downloads, that's why McAfee didn't pick it up. I have tried everything suggested and even went to a friends computer and downloaded Windows repair programs, but the computer won't run them! Still comes up with the same msg. Bad_System_Config_Info on a blue screen! Cannot run Startup Repair, any Safe Mode won't open, ran 3 "Boot" options, still the same. Tried to run Windows 7 32 bit repair disc, but comp. won't read them! I am only on a pension so can't really afford specialized help. Microsoft wants to charge me heaps to fix the problem, which they 'reckon' they can do, but, I am begging help from anyone with ideas. I have run everything available on the system and nothing works. Can somebody please suggest a download or something to get past the error?

In order to boot from the disc you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the second device the hdd/ssd.

Once you have created the installation media and set the BIOS to boot from the media please do a Repair Installation.  This will not effect your personal files.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to continue the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

jIHG1Q6.png

After this is done click on Next.

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

93LGcoc.png

This will open the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

8sXn45W.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window.

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 wayno2208

wayno2208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thank for that, but it won't even let me change the Bios, just says "no option".

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?  Please post the complete model.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users