Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router advice/recommendation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChasinJason

ChasinJason

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Need a new router for my 3 story home (modem in basement). Only wired connection will be my Xbox and I have 10-12 wireless devices. My ISP delivers 500MB.

Really enjoy my Xbox so would a gaming router provide benefits or is it negligible because of the wired connection?

Little out of my element so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

How much are you willing to spend?

Where is the XBox in relation to the modem?  (Same floor or different)

Some of the newer mesh systems might be a good idea, but they aren't cheap, $299 and up.  However, you can easily have an access point on each floor with them.

#3 ChasinJason

ChasinJason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

How much are you willing to spend?

Where is the XBox in relation to the modem?  (Same floor or different)

Some of the newer mesh systems might be a good idea, but they aren't cheap, $299 and up.  However, you can easily have an access point on each floor with them.

Thanks for the reply. Willing to spend what it takes to have a reliable system in place. I'm not a network savvy/skilled user so an intuitive admin UI would be preferable.

My Xbox sits right next to the modem in the basement. It's my only wired connection. It's not likely I'll be able to get my home wired to have connections on each floor so hoping other options are available for coverage.

From what I've been reading it seems that prioritization and QOS options are important. If I'm gaming I don't want activity from my family's wireless devices to cause lag spikes and other issues.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Here are some reviews on mesh systems.  I have the first generation eero system.  The eero comes with an App that you use to set it up and it updates itself automatically and will periodically run speed tests on your connection.  The eero is easy to set up, but doesn't have all of the features you would have on a stand alone router, such as configurable QOS.  The main unit would connect to your router and then the XBox would conned to the erro.  The other erro units would connect wireless to the main unit and could be put on different floors to give you better wireless access on the main and second floors.  I would assume that the other mesh systems function similarly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users