Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 freezes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boatcap

boatcap

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

My computer often freezes and I have to shut it down and restart. Is there anything I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste cmd (admin) in the Run box, then click/tap on OK.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 boatcap

boatcap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am going to try it now by pressing the windows and R keys and will let you know what happens.

Bob

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 boatcap

boatcap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

it says that I must use an administrator account; I assumed that was my password to no avail. What are they asking me for? 

Thanks for your help and forbearance.

Bob

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste control, then click/tap on OK.  This will open the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel select User Accounts.

You should see an image similar to the one below.  This will have your name and the type of account you have.

g9eo823.png

If this is your computer you should have an administrator account.  You can use non-admin account for everyday use, but to make some changes or additions you will need a admin. account.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#7 boatcap

boatcap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

Sorry not to have responded sooner, life got a tad hectic. Thak you so much for your help. The bleeping computer is running well now. I had the get my computer savvy future daughter in law to walk me through it and with her and your help life is good. You make it to Jersey you have a beer and a pork roll sandwich on me!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

I'm glad you had someone at home who could assist you in this.  Happy computing. :thumbup2:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Content removed.

Edited by dc3, 10 November 2017 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users