Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID Setting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

RAID is being offered as an option on a laptop I'm purchasing. How compatible is it with linux?

Should I avoid it since I'm not a computer expert?

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

You might find the following articles helpful ....

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-raid.html
https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-raid-linux/

... never had a use for RAID personally, so I've no practical experience of working with it.

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thank you!

I also don't think I have much real need of RAID. Who doesn't want more power and speed? But I can't justify taking on and planning for the disadvantages. Your first link is from 2009 but I haven't found any newer articles that contradict it.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-raid.html:

"The problems with RAID are directly related to their advantages. For instance, while RAID can improve performance, this setup necessarily reduces the safety of the implementation. On the other hand, with increased redundancy, space efficiency is reduced. Other possible problems with RAID include:

• Increased wear of hard disks, leading to an increased failure rate.
  • Lack of compatibility with other hardware components and some software, like system imaging programs.
  • Greater difficulty in performing backups and system rescue/restore in the case of a failure.
  • Support by operating systems expected to use the RAID."

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

As far as I'm aware, the basic principles of RAID arrays have not changed in any meaningful way, so despite its age, the dedoimage tutorial is still probably the best one I know.

Quite honestly though, with the efficiency and size of modern disks, IMO, RAID is probably irrelevant to the majority of "ordinary" computer users, and introduces an additional level of complexity that most people are not comfortable dealing with.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

You can setup a software RAID right in the Ubuntu Server install. Works pretty good too. I have it on my server. But for a laptop, I don't see why you would need it. Just use an external for backup purposes and such.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Noted. I'm not ready for a server yet, but I have started to really want one lately. I might actually try in the next year or so. We have multiple laptops in the house now, and it all seems very insecure. Especially as two are running windows.

Speccy

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Servers are fun. Allows you to play around with different things. I haven't hooked mine back up yet, but it's got a samba share running so I can save files and pictures to it from any PC. I also ran a voice server for friends to connect to for game playing. But discord works nice for that now and I don't have to expose a port.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users