Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1303 when installing newest version of mcafee virusscan enterprise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swan36fc

swan36fc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hi all,

I just got the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 software.  I read that I needed to uninstall the previous version before installing the newest, so I did.

I then ran the .setup file as administrator for 8.8, but during the setup I encountered this message and had to cease the installation:

"Error 1303 The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VSCore\x64. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator."

This is on Windows 7.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

swan36fc

Edited by swan36fc, 07 October 2017 - 07:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

The error indicates that you were not using a administrator account to make the installation.  Be sure that you are using a admin account when you try this installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 swan36fc

swan36fc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I wish it were that simple, I wouldn't be on this forum if it was.  As I mentioned, I right clicked and used administrator to run the setup.  I am grateful for any help I can get, so thank you :-) 

Edited by swan36fc, 07 October 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Did you use the McAfee uninstall tool to uninstall the antivirus?

You can use the MCPR cleanup tool to remove any remnants of McAfee.  You will need to have all remnants of the antivirus before installing the new version.

If you are still having this problem try using the instructions below, these instructions were copied at this website.

Please use the following workaround:

Remove the "Application Data" shortcut (junction) from the "C:\ProgramData" directory:

1. Click on your Windows Logo to bring up the Start Menu, select Computer

2. Choose the "Organize" drop-down located in the upper left-hand corner and select "Folder and Search Options"

3. Choose the "View" tab, select the following options, and click OK:

Select/Check "Show hidden files and folders"
De-select/Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

Click OK.

4. Navigate to "C:\ProgramData"

5. Locate the "Application Data" shortcut

6. Click and drag the "Application Data" shortcut to another location. For example, your Desktop. Some user's have reported that this folde is locked and is not able to be moved. In this situation you can try to rename the folder in stead (perhaps to "Application Data_") or even select to delete the file so it is removed to the Recycle Bin. This should allow you to proceed in the same way as moving to the desktop.

7. Install SPSS.

8. When the installation is complete, move the "Application Data" shortcut to its original location (If it was moved to the Recycle Bin, open the Recycle Bin and right click the Application Data shortcut and select Restore).

9. Click on the Windows Logo to bring up the Start Menu, select Computer

10. Choose the "Organize" drop-down located in the upper left-hand corner and select "Folder and Search Options"

11. Choose the "View" tab, select the following options, and click OK:

De-select/Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders"
Select/Check "Hide protected operating system files"

Click OK.

Close the Window

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 swan36fc

swan36fc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

The MCPR cleanup tool did the trick!  Thanks so much, and for letting me learn from you!

(I made notes for when I install McAfee next year.)

Sincerely,

swan36fc

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

You are most welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users