Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth upgrading my PC and what would you change?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spatnaspolecnost

spatnaspolecnost

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi, I have a 6 years old PC and I'm not really planning to invest a lot of money in the near future (ie buying a new one), but I was wondering if I could get more out of it while not spending much on new parts.

My specs are:

ASUS M4A87TD EVO motherboard

AMD Phenom II QuadCore X4 965 / 3.4 GHz

N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC / 768MB

8192MB DDR3 1333MHz GEIL / (KIT 2x4096MB)

I recently dropped in a Samsung SSD from my PS4 and freshly reinstalled Windows 7 on it, it works well (for now lol).

Now I'm not really planning on playing new games, mostly I just want to buy Borderlands 2 and have it run a bit better, so I'm not expecting miracles. I have Borderlands 1 on it and while it is playable in 1080p I have to drop stuff mostly to minimum to be butter smooth. I tried Destiny 2 on it and it ran on minimum settings in 720p @60 Hz lol, but it was not performing very well at higher resolutions, so maybe a small upgrade would be alright for the time being. What do you think?

Edited by spatnaspolecnost, 06 October 2017 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

There's not much of an upgrade path on the CPU. There's the option to add a Phenom II X6, but I can't see that helping significantly with many games.

The GPU is quite slow in todays terms. You can improve here but not without spending money.

8 Gb RAM is sufficient.

In terms of GPU, a Radeon RX 460/560 or GTX 1050 are affordable current models that should offer around twice the speed of the GTX 460.  You could also consider used or reconditioned GPU's - things like the GTX 760, or Radeon R9 270X/280/280X etc. Probably no warranty on used parts though, and some of the larger AMD cards in particular are power hungry so you'd need to consider whether PSU good enough.

Destiny 2 has much higher system requirements than Borderlands 2 - the minimum AND recommended specs being well beyond what you have. Borderlands 2 looks much more modest in the specs required.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 spatnaspolecnost

spatnaspolecnost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

Hm, do you think that the GPU alone would make a significant difference then? GTX1050 seems a reasonable price to pay I guess. I really mostly want it for Borderlands and Skyrim with mods. My PSU is 650W. Thank you for suggestion!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

A faster GPU should improve your experience, and progress in graphics chips has been a lot more rapid over the last few years than CPU's.  Many people are still happily using 5, 6, 7 year old CPU's with upgraded graphics cards for gaming.  Obviously it's not worth spending too much on an older machine like that though.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users