Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get started with Linux for beginners

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 santhoshsocial

santhoshsocial

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi friend,

How to get started with Linux for beginners

i using window 7. I want use linux os  

please give me some suggestion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

Well firstly welcome to the linuix section!

To get started can you give us details on your hardware?

Name of the brand who made it?

What hardware is inside?

If you dont know this see if you can find a model number of some kind and we can get this party started :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

Howdy,

Yes as MadmanRB suggested some system info about your computer and type would be very helpful.

Here's what I would recommend.

Download iso and create a bootable DVD of Linux Mint 18 XFCE (Sarah) which I recommend because it always seems to work on most computers I have installed it on.

I've always used infrRecorder with Windows OS to create a bootable DVD just make sure to write image to DVD.

Once you have created a bootable DVD place it into DVD player and reboot from the DVD and give it a test drive before installing it and see what you think.

It may seem a little discouraging at first but you will be amazed at how easy you will be able to navigate through it.

The Live DVD test drive will operate slower than an actual install onto the hard drive but will give you a look at the Linux world.

The documentation is for Linux Mint Cinnamon although a lot of the info applies to other Linux Mint distros.

Documentation

https://linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf

Download

https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=27

InfraRecorder

http://infrarecorder.org/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Infra-Recorder.shtml

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 October 2017 - 10:35 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

Everything that has been said by the other two very kind forum members is very good advice. In addition I would suggest that you detail your goals. For example;

1. Do you want to dual boot? This is highly recommended so that you can keep your Windows system in tact.

2. Do you know how to partition a hard drive? I would suggest that before you attempt any Linux installation, dual boot or dedicated, that you back up all of your data to a removable hard drive or to the cloud. This is crucial.

3. Is your interest in Linux associated with school or a particular desire to learn a new skill? In that case tell us what it is exactly that you hope to accomplish so that we can recommend a good distro.

First and foremost Linux can be fun and challenging at the same time, so tell us what your equipment consists of and your goals and we can assist you.

Good luck!!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hallo, santhoshsocial. And  :welcome: to the Linux and Unix section!

I'll second what's been said here so far. An idea of your hardware's capabilities (i.e., specs) would be most useful. And, as Rocky says, some idea of how you envisage using Linux will also help. 

Depending on your machine's specs, you will in all likelihood be okay running one of the 'mainstream' distros. Or, you may be better off running one of the more 'lightweight' distros. 

It'll all depend on what you let us know as to how effectively we can help. Remember, we don't have a crystal ball here.....we need you to be our eyes and ears!

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:24 AM

Looks like everyone has provided great advice here, lets see what the OP does with this. :)

A good software choice to image the entire HDD before installing Linux is Macrium Reflect from the below source & contains no 3rd party garbage (registration is optional). Lots of features, to include building WinPE rescue media & even an option to add Macrium to the boot list, if desired, under 'Other Tasks'. 

http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

If considering a dual boot, which I recommend at first, defrag your drive twice & under Disk Management, shrink about 40-50 GiB from the 'C' partition for the install. Yet first, we need specs of computer so that we can better advise you in which direction to take, Speccy can be used for this & there's a portable version, requiring no install at bottom of this page. 

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

Just extract, open the proper (32 or 64 bit) version & select File, then Publish snapshot, not to worry, the personal information you see (your COA & IP address) will be changed so that we don't see these unneeded details. Like so. :)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8jIS3CRVuQpTsGep7UKDITf

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Looks like everyone has provided great advice here, lets see what the OP does with this. :)

Cat

I believe the OP has already shown us what they are going to do.

NOTHING

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

The OP has another thread here which is curious.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/659520/how-to-make-window-7-ultimate-genuine-for-free/

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Also, the OP has never responded back to this very nice thread that he started

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/659522/how-to-make-computer-run-faster-windows-81/#entry4352101

which implies that he has no intention on following up with the great Linux advice that we have all given to him here.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

which implies that he has no intention on following up with the great Linux advice that we have all given to him here.

Indeed.

However this does not negate the value of the advice given for anybody thinking about trying Linux.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

However this does not negate the value of the advice given for anybody thinking about trying Linux.

Chris Cosgrove

Hey Chris Cosgrove,

Exactly. :thumbup2:

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

I've relayed this message to a few people, santhoshsocial has not responded to ONE Thread he has started since joining this Forum, so I would not put to much energy into replying.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:28 AM

Yes, it looks like a waste of time in assisting him. :lol:

Although I'd bet the house if he became infected & sought assistance and didn't respond in a timely manner (as required), the Topic would be closed in short order. :)

The OP likely gained his 31 posts in a similar manner as this & the two mentioned above, of which one was closed due to (probable) piracy issues. Seems like he'd contact Microsoft if there were troubles with activation, or it was a legit OEM license intended for one computer (or MB) only. Way too many doesn't do their homework, thinking that the OEM is the same as Retail versions, thinking they're legit when not if reinstalling on different computer. I'm not going to get into a discussion over licenses purchased on eBay & other off the wall sites because it should be obvious that we get what we pay for. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:05 AM

Chris Cosgrove

Hey Chris Cosgrove,

Exactly. :thumbup2:

I second that motion! :thumbup2:

There may well be a new Linux user coming to the site & runs across this Topic, the excellent advise would apply to any beginner. :)

BTW, Linux has now broken the 3% usershare mark last month (September 2017), an amazing feat to gain an added 1% increase in just 7 months, there was a dip to just barely 2% once in early 2017. I predicted that as support dwindles down for W7, more would seek Linux & it's happening. Plus many who stated a flat NO to W10 when offered, even with updates hidden, MS still 'un-hid' these & attempted (sometimes successfully) to cram the upgrade down everyone's throats. Which only served to do more harm than good, to which Microsoft senior members admitted (a year after the fact). :(

W/out further ado, let's see how Linux has jumped to 3.04% usershare in September 2017, while a dip from 3.37% a month earlier, at least Linux is on the march! :thumbsup:

https://netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=9&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

At the same time last year (one can toggle the calendar back to two years), Linux usage was at 2.23%, so an impressive gain over a single year & I expect this chart to only further rise as many Windows customers are fed up with Microsoft, even W10 users. Plus with the latest hardware (CPU's), both AMD & Intel, doesn't support W7 & 8.1, so it's a (modded) of the latter, or full support with Linux or W10. Many are choosing Linux over Windows, while Microsoft still had the upper hand in knowing when the stats are counted & likely had all of their participating retailers to have all demo computers powered on & connected to the Internet, still wasn't enough to suppress Linux growth, even last year. :)

https://netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=9&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=202&qpnp=11&qptimeframe=M

Finally one last snapshot, even as well hand crafted, machined to near automotive tolerance computers, Mac OS X usershare is dropping & Linux is bearing down fast on it's less than 1% point lead, currently at 3.84% :)

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

We've had a lot of new Linux users as of late, so has other sites. With as many self-help articles as posted today, versus virtually none when I began in 2009, one that's computer literate can install & use Linux w/out any (or little) Forum assistance. Users can simply Google their issue & it's likely been already been asked hundreds of times, with a clear fix or patch to be discovered & used. Therefore, there's likely many Linux users that doesn't participate on Tech Forums period. Back when I began, the typical Linux user has higher education, better income, more disposable income (low debt to income ratio) & lives in more desirable areas locally versus the typical Windows user. I don't suspect those numbers to be changed today, although would be good to find a recent chart to post, showing the demographics of Linux users versus Windows. Mac users doesn't care about income, many will max out a credit card to have the latest 'i' anything :lol:, be it a smartphone or any computing device most belongs to a cult that still has to have the latest & greatest at all costs. Which is not rational thinking for those in lower income brackets and/or has a high debt to income ratio, another area where (typical) Linux users shines. :)

This is also why we must embrace newbies to Linux, get a feel for what they want & not drive a too complicated OS down everyone's throat, this would be history repeating itself (as Microsoft has done over the last couple of years). Not everyone coming from Windows are 'hardcore' users, most barely scratches the surface of the power of those OS's, way too many current Linux users doesn't give Windows credit for being a powerful OS, nor does many know. Example, with only running a script in cmd as Administrator on a mid powered computer, one can get the needed 4 way handshake to gain network access of any neighbor's network just as fast as on Linux, yet few knows this, let alone how to go about it (Google is a more powerful desktop assistant than Cortana). I've only read an article covering the subject, not placed in in use, am sure there's a lot more powerful commands to be used (both legit & not), just as with Linux. However, this is to only show that Windows is also powerful under the hood, the majority of folks that are turning to Linux are doing so because they're tired of the tactics of Microsoft, it's as simple as that. :)

Sooner or later, if not clean installed on occasion, all of these roofs piled on top of another will come crashing down & Microsoft won't be there to assist with the cleanup, as the 12 month no-cost warranty began (for most) in mid-2015. On the other hand, most Linux distros uses a more safer upgrade method that to this date, hasn't given me any issues (once upgraded my way from Mint 12 to 17 w/out problems, other than an untidy /home partition :P). The only exceptions were on AMD GPU equipped machines, took my proprietary drivers away (fglrx), yet this is on the part of AMD & not Linux Mint. That's why I advise those who wants a notebook to install Linux on to be sure that the AMD GPU (to include APU's) are the latest & greatest (not sure if a mobile 'Vega' line has been released yet). If any older, don't walk away, run, because any ability to overclock or fine tune the GPU is gone for Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 & newer, to include Mint 18 & many other OS's), go with a NVIDIA equipped discrete GPU or straight Intel all the way to avoid problems. This is especially important if an avid overclocker, of which I'm still in the process of learning, or gamer that needs a high performance GPU. For now, NVIDIA is a better alternative than AMD & for that matter, so is Intel if on a budget, many of their latest onboard GPU's are 4K ready. :thumbsup:

I cover these issues because newbies to Linux needs the facts, open source drivers cannot take the place of proprietary ones & why there's no Catalyst Control Center with AMD GPU's when installing Ubuntu 16.04 & newer, if needed, can install Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux Mint 17.3, supported through April 2019. Not that the open source community doesn't know how to, rather due to copyrights, can't include CCC with open source drivers. However, these drivers are suitable for everyday tasks, if the owner of such hardware, not a power user & don't want to purchase a new computer (or can't), please don't let the above hold you back from installing the Linux of your choice, will run fine. :)

If not, or there's other issues to be addressed, we're here to assist anyone in need. :thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users