Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What am i missing???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Professor916

Professor916

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

ok so i bought an asus pc model m32cd, put in a gtx970 in and replaced the stock psu with a thermaltake toughpower 750w 80+ gold. ran fine for a year. it lost power while in use and wouldn't come back on, it would click once and the cpu and psu fans would spin for a sec and stop and the power light would stay lit. at this point all i could do was unplug it. so i replaced the psu with the stock and used the integrated gpu. ran fine for a week so i bought a 1000w corsair psu and put it in. while plugged into the 970 it would just click like before. so then i replaced the 970 with a 1070. the computer comes on, fans spin. the 1070 light is on and the fans spin occasionally. problem is now there's no signal to the display. i tried switching hdmi cables and using both ports on the monitor. i tried switching back to the integrated gpu to no avail. i unplugged the 1070 and still no signal through integrated gpu. i reseated everything and it's all secure even the mobo battery. i tried using both the stock psu and corsair in combinations with both 970 and 1070 on another pc. same results. what am i missing? i thought maybe the motherboard but that makes no sense unless something happened after i got the corsair, same with my monitor. the corsair is refurbished if that matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Let's see if the problem is with the PSU.  The instructions below will allow you to start the PSU while bypassing the motherboard.  The power button is a momentary switch, it shorts the two header pins that the power button is connected to.  This sends a signal through the green wire in the 24 pin connector from the PSU.  We will bypass the motherboard.

Open the case and touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity you may have.  It only takes 10V to kill some board components.

With the computer off and the power cord unplugged disconnect the 24 pin connector from the PSU from the motherboard.  These usually is a clip on the rear side of this connector which needs to be depressed in order to remove the connector.

Once the connector is disconnected place a jumper ( a paperclip or piece of wire can be used for this ) between the socket of the green wire ( there is only one green wire ) and any black wire.  Make sure the jumper is not touching anything else, you don't want to short the PSU to anything else.

Plug the PSU power cord back in, this will start the PSU.  This should allow the case fan and some LEDs to run. 

Let me know if the PSU stays on.  If it does run and doesn't turn off as it had been I would start looking at the components used in the POST (Power On Self Test) which checks to see that all peripheral devices are running properly.

To reset the motherboard and PSU turn off the computer and disconnect the PSU cord.  Pull the jumpers and reconnect the 24 pin connector with the motherboard.  Plug the PSU power cord back in, you should be able to use the power button now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Professor916

Professor916
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

thank you i appreciate your help. i ended up replacing the motherboard and everything is fine now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

:thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users