Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~Cant boot win 10~~wont go to diagnose, etc.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

Gateway DX4670, windows 10, 8 MB memory. Had a hard drive failure, and replaced defective hard drive, with hard drive that has Windows 10 installed.. Cannot get to start up screen....tried getting to the repair option, but computer will not let me access. It only seems to give me a BIOS access and will not start. Here is a picture of the Error screen......thoughts??

Attached Files

Edited by jake21, 06 October 2017 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yes.

You are making a mistake I discussed on another thread earlier today.

You simply cannot put a HDD on which Windows 10 was installed on one machine into another machine (even with the exact same hardware) and expect it to work.

If a given computer has ever had a legally licensed/activated copy of Windows 10 installed on it Microsoft maintains the license for that computer on its servers based on the motherboard ID.  Windows 10 itself on that computer also keeps its own local record of which motherboard it's licensed for.  If you transplant a disc drive where Windows 10 was installed on a different machine into another machine there is a mismatch in the motherboard ID and, thus, you do not have a valid legal copy of Windows 10 that can boot on that machine.

It is a simple matter to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new/wiped hard drive on the machine where you need for it to run and if it's been legally licensed on that machine before you don't need to enter a license key and Windows 10 will relicense itself as soon as it has connectivity to the MS servers to do so.

You need to go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, download the ISO and create bootable media, and reinstall Windows 10 on the machine where you need it back from that machine itself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Excellent....great info. I am at the link page....and the only download I see is MEDIACREATIONTOOL.exe....is this the one I need to download?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yep.

Once you have the Media Creation Tool that's what actually snags the ISO file.  Also, take my advice, don't use the option where the Media Creation Tool creates a bootable USB.   Though it may have been fixed, I have had problems with the resulting drives.   I always download the ISO file itself and then either burn it to optical media or use Rufus to create the bootable USB from the ISO file.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Great help...tip of the hat to ya.....I'll give it a try and see how it goes....Thanks again!! Quick question...since I have a licensed issue of Windows 10 on the hard drive...will this allow me to use the hard drive with the Windows 10 to a different mobo? The Windows 10 hard drive I have came from a different machine, then the one I plan to install, etc.

Edited by jake21, 06 October 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

If you are doing a clean install you'll effectively wipe the drive as a part of that.

I do not anticipate that you will have any issue reusing a given functioning hard drive regardless of what may or may not have been installed on it since that gets nuked when you do a clean install of Windows 10.

Be careful, though, that when you run the bootable media that you do not take the "Keep my files" or "Keep my apps and files" options if they are presented.  You want to be installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 as though this were an empty drive to begin with.   If you want to be really anal-retentive you could format it using another computer before using it in the one you're using it in, but I think that's overkill.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

Excellent...thanks again....

#8 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

Downloaded ISO....wrote to blank DVD....entered BIOS, changed boot settings to CD/DVD first.....system continues to boot to REPAIR screen shown above. I tried moving files to a USB drive, and changing the boot to USB....same problem..keeps defaulting to above error screen ( first picture in thread.) Ideas?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

No, other than it appears that you're not booting from either the optical drive or the bootable USB drive when you think you are.

If you get the same message you did when booting from the hard disc then the logical conclusion is that you're booting from the hard disc.

Are you certain you saved the boot order setting after changing it rather than just exiting without saving?  (Yes, I have unintentionally done that before).

If you have the option of pulling the drive and formatting it as an external drive it's worth a try.  I'd also take a look at it with a partition manager of your choice while it's out and before your format it if you do go this route.  It is possible that the drive is going bad (not most likely, but possible).

Edited by britechguy, 06 October 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks...look like I might have to pull the drive and format with another computer. I noted the BIOS order of boot...and F10 saved....still getting same default boot up...is it possible to disconnect the hard drive...boot from cd/dvd ( if possible)....would that save some time or not workable.?

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

You can use Qemu Simple Boot  program to test if the Windows installation media bootable.

Posted Image

#12 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the link...looks like lots of nice programs on the site....

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Jumping back in, I'd definitely use a "is the bootable media bootable" tester since one has been mentioned.

What you are seeing could also happen if your bootable media isn't really bootable, which is not something I'd considered.

#14 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

QEMU....downloaded, checked CD/DVD I was attempting to read....came back as a problem. Returned to MS and redid the TOOL.EXE and made a bootable ISO from download. RIght now it immediately went to the CD and began WINDOWS 10 installation. ...Fantastic!!!!! I am at about 40% install and so far so good.......Don't open the champagne yet, but thinks definitely looking better today!!!!  Thanks to all......Great help!!!

#15 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

All good......success!!!  Turn the doves loose...let the band play on.....THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users