Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 drives in 1? 16GB SSD + 1TB HD HP Envy AIO

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

On an HP ENVY Recline 23-k000 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC series I have S.M.A.R.T. hard drive errors  on the 16 GB SSD  drive while the one terabyte drive remains okay, I pulled the drive out of the unit, is it possible to have the SSD built on to or  Merged with the SATA drive?  if I am to replace the drive, can I simply just use a SATA drive or does it have to have an SSD attachment?  If I replace the drive, and  Copy the recovery folder onto the drive will  it boot up  into recovery? many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

I'm in the BIOS, Version 2.15.1234, I don't see anything that allows me to disable the SSD. IS there something I am missing, or another way to disable it so I don't get so many prompts?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

From the specification page, it looks like it uses a 16 Gb mSATA SSD, which is a separate device from the HDD.  It's not a Hybrid SSHD (for example, of the type made by Seagate) which handles the caching internally and the whole caching process is basically invisible to the operating system.  What you have, I suspect, uses Intel "Smart Response Technology" which uses a small SSD (up to 64 Gb is supported) to cache frequently accessed system files and programs.  Your BIOS may have reference to Intel Smart Response Technology, and it may be possible to disable there.

I have no personal experience of this setup but I would guess caching should also be able to be disabled through the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application in Windows.  Just removing the SSD from the system would also presumably disable the caching, while still allowing it to boot from the HDD, but as I said, I've got no first hand experience of using this type of caching setup, so recommend trying to disable it in software and/or BIOS first before removing the SSD physically.  I found this summary which gives some explanation of how it works and how to set it up (using the Intel RST software), should you choose to replace the SSD with a new one - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users