Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:34 PM

I have come across this little trick to save ink in printers, and I have been using it for so long, that it is habit. Try it out and see if it works out for you. Not only will it use up less ink (and save you money), but the prints will come out much faster too.

By default, when you print something, it usually does not chose the draft option, as shown highlighted in yellow:

Posted Image

If you click the draft selection, it will use about half the ink (depending on manufacturer). You do have to click OK, and apply on the print screen before you print.

Chances are, it will revert back to text or text & image every time, so you may have to change it every time. In the short amount of time that it takes to make the changes, you will save in the ink and printing time.

If you have any questions about your specific printer, please post in the hardware forum, with your make and model number, and I will walk you through the options.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

Being cheap myself, I appreciate this tip!
I set (by default) to print in Black and White, further saving ink. Rarely will anything need color (except the occassional photo)
I set it in Control Panel / Printer / Properties
By the way, most printer manufactures use Color and Best (or high Quality) as the default settings...since they also sell the ink, you can figure out why they use those settings! (you can also figure out why they give away printers so cheaply...free after rebate in many instances)

Edited by Haroldo, 01 December 2004 - 12:49 PM.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

Good tip! Very readable output and (at least with a Canon i550) it prints much faster. But why can't I instruct this dratted machine to always print in draft and always print in reverse order unless I tell it otherwise????
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:25 PM

Those are great questions, twinsdad.

The first one is easy. They do not want you to. It can be done, with a registry edit, that a new default will be set, so that you do not have to change it to draft everytime. After the first few times, I would still check to make sure that the setting is still the way you want it. I can help you out with that, is you can help me out with a few of these:

Is the exact make/model number Canon i550?

What version of Windows are you running?

Do you know how to post a screenshot?

The next one is a little tricky. I would have to find the exact entry in your registry that will enable that feature. I am sure that it can be done though.

Edited: I did not know that you already started another thread on this. A link to it is here, and a copy of this message is placed there also.

Edited by JEservices, 13 December 2004 - 05:11 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users