Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random black screens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thatremarkableguy

thatremarkableguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

Hi guys my first post in the forum, I recently got a hand me down ssd from my dad and wanted to do a clean install of windows 10 so I could have my operating system on my ssd rather than my hdd. After I did so I got random black screens so I thought the problem was the ssd so moved my operating system back to my hdd and continue to have problems.

I think its the graphics card because if Im on teamspeak the output audio will glitch for a bit before returning to normal, I get output from the keyboard and headset but I have a black screen.

If I disable the graphics driver for my graphics card the problems stop, but obviously I cant play games.

I stress tested my graphics card using FurMark and the graphics card performed fine without any crashes.

I installed the latest drivers for my motherboard and no change, If I update my graphics driver via the nvidia app the computer crashes and the maintenance report says the graphics card stopped working

This is a copy of what speccy said:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz    32 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-PLUS (SOCKET 1150)    28 °C
Graphics
    BenQ G2450H (1920x1080@64Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Palit Microsystems)
    ForceWare version: 385.41
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)    31 °C
    119GB SanDisk SDSSDP128G (SSD)
Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS124 E
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

The graphics cards driver was disabled while I ran SysnativeFilecollectionapp because I didnt want my pc to crash.

Any help appreciated, I hope I followed the correct procedure in the post

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2104) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 15063 (1703) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

I presume that this is the card that you disabled:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1187&SUBSYS_11871569&REV_A1\4&3834D97&0&0008    This device is disabled.

It appears that the card works fine with the built-in Windows drivers (which are older nVidia drivers)

In most cases I tend to suspect that this is a hardware problem.

Have you run the Video2/Other video tests here?:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#morevideo

Can you test the video card in another computer?

I'd like to see some more reports if you don't mind.

If so, please re-enable the nVidia stuff and let the system crash.

Then immediately recover and generate the following reports:

Then run this version of the data collection app (done by BlueElvis instead of Sysnative):    https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe
This is because it saves .evtx files from the Event Viewer which are sortable (where the Sysnative report saves text files - which aren't sortable)

I'd also like a look at this report (it's a summary report of all the Critical, Error, and Warning events on the system):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 thatremarkableguy

thatremarkableguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I stress tested the GPU and it performed fine without a crash when tested for 15 minutes. Ive attached both files with the reports you asked for. The screen would only go black when im not playing a game on the pc, so confused if it passes the stress test but fails then.

On the error report there will be a lot of windows was shut down unexpectedly but that was because once the screen went black it was the only way to turn the pc off.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

My theory here is that something in the card is broken that the stress tests don't test.
If I am correct, the only effective way to test it is to:

- try a clean install of Windows, then install the latest drivers from nVidia (if the problem continues, then it's likely the video card hardware)

- try the card in another computer, with the latest drivers from nVidia (if the problem continues in the other computer, then it's likely the video card hardware)

- try another, known to be good, video card in your system (if the problem goes away, then it's likely to be the old video card's hardware)

(if you have to purchase one, purchase it from a store that will give you your money back if it's not needed).

The Event ID 41 event (Windows shut down unexpectedly is just what I'm looking for.

I find them, then I look at the times immediately previous to see if I can see any repeating events.

If there are repeating events, we have to figure out if they're caused by hardware or software

If there aren't any repeating events, we'll have to presume a hardware problem.

I didn't notice anything definitely repeating in the Admin logfile, but....

- there were several events associated with the video drivers

- there were several problems with Fast Startup

I'd suggest running the complete set of free diagnostics here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Feel free to skip the tests that you've already run, but please complete ALL of the others and let us know the results.

Unfortunately, there are no decent tests for SSD's, but please be sure to run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test on the HDD.

Testing the SSD would involve using another drive (either SSD or HDD) with a clean install of Windows to see if it had the same problems.

Beyond this, there's very little in the reports to indicate a software problem.
The only thing I noted about possible software problems was the display driver issues in the Admin logfile.
As the system works well with the Windows drivers, but not with the nVidia drivers - I have to wonder if the problem is software or hardware.

Another option here is to try other versions of the nVidia software:

- this page will give you versions back to 2016:  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

- this page will give older drivers:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html

Stick with the WHQL drivers when testing, as they've been vetted through Microsoft before release.

The GeForce 353.62 WHQL driver is the one released the same day as W10 was released.

BUT, this error isn't being seen a lot on the internet (as it would be if it was a software problem) - simply because of the huge installed base of nVidia devices out there.
I have seen a few of these over the last year or so - and these were primarily hardware problems.

As this has tickled my brain a bit, I visited the Palit website.  I was unable to find a GTX 760!  Maybe it's not visible from the US?
I was not able to find any information about warranties from Palit.  Is the card still under warranty?  Have you tried to RMA it?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users