Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only person in household who can't connect to ethernet.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Gurkann

Gurkann

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hello!

I've recently found a problem with my ethernet, which won't ever connect. Others in my area can connect to it. I discovered this problem when i recently reformatted my computer, about a week ago, and I haven't seen this problem before that. I use my own built computer with an ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapter for my 5G wifi, which I haven't seen any problem with. For ethernet we use the Swedish brand Alltele, and many in the area can agree on it being very overloaded at times. When i try to troubleshoot i get the message "Ethernet missing valid IP configuration", and it's seen as an "unidentified network" when i click the ethernet logo in the hotbar. I have tried the following:
Troubleshooted the problem with the Windows troubleshooting function.
Restarted the router and the computer.
Reinstalled TCP/IP settings.
Disabled and reactivated my wifi adapter and my ethernet. (ipconfig /renew and all that)
Checked if there's anything wrong with the cable.
Made sure that my ethernet receives IP adress and DNS server adress automatically.
Uninstalled and reinstalled ethernet drivers.
Disabled fast boot for my computer.

I first discovered the problem after I had installed my new motherboard (MSI Z270 A-PRO) and CPU (Intel i7 7700K). It might just have been a cable I've missed when installing my new processor I just bought, or maybe something isn't compatible with my new setup. A friend thought of the idea that it could be a setting in the BIOS. Other people I've asked said i should set up a static IP address, but there was no information regarding the standard gateway, it said nothing. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Interesting, so the card recognizes it's on a network does not receive a DHCP IP Address and even after failing to reach the DHCP server. Does it automatically assign it's itself an APIPA Address?  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Are you strictly connecting by wifi?

Edited by arlattimor, 05 October 2017 - 02:07 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#4 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hello arlattimor! Thanks for responding. I'm really not sure i follow in on the APIPA stuff. Could you please explain? Also, one more thing that sprung to mind: Does the pc fetch a whole new ip address after being reformatted? I thought that may have been the issue at first since we have multiple technical devices here.

Currently i am only connected to my wifi, yes.

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Ok, I just want to clarify, I see that you have a wireless card, but are you also trying to connect by ethernet cable?

A. Lattimore

#6 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Exactly. I'm trying to use ethernet instead of wifi since it's faster. I have been able to connect to both before the reformatting.

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

Have you tried a different network cable? Your cable may have a short.

A. Lattimore

#8 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yes I have. :)

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Interesting, ok well DCHP is a 4 step process. When a device boots on a network it sends out a DCHP Discover Broadcast Message looking for a DHCP Server. When the server hears the DHCP Discover Message, it sends back a DHCP Offer Message stating that it has a number of IP Address within it scope it can offer. The device that booted sends back a DCHP Request, requesting a specific IP Address that is available within the scope of the DHCP Server. The DHCP Server sends back a DHCP Acknowledgment Message, stating that this specific IP Address will be assigned to the device for an allotted period of time called a DHCP Lease.

Now, if the device that has booted on the network can't find a DHCP Server, it will go into (APIPA) Automatic Private IP Addressing, assigning itself an IP Address starting out with 169.254.x.x.

So, when you open a command prompt and do an ipconfig /all for you ethernet adapter do you see an APIPA Address?   

Edited by arlattimor, 05 October 2017 - 02:46 PM.

A. Lattimore

#10 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Yes, i see it now. It's an APIPA address. 169.254.219.185. Thank you for explaining!

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

What kind of router do you have?

A. Lattimore

#12 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Do you mean ivp4? Or CAT 5e?

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Ok, let me be more specific, what kind of internet connection do you have coming into your home Cable, DSL, Fiber?

A. Lattimore

#14 Gurkann

Gurkann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

We use fiber.

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Ok, you have a fiber connection. Now because you are currently connected wirelessly, you are connected to your wireless router. This wireless router that you are connected to. Was it provided by your (ISP) Internet Service Provider, or is it one you personally own? 

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users