Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk usage 100% for the first 2 mins after boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kissfan63

kissfan63

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

In the last two or three days my PC has a disk usage of 100%  for the first two mins after boot up.  I see this in Task manager and after the two mins or so it is fine!  I click on the Google chrome icon on the task bar to start and nothing happens for this two minutes or so.  In fact NOTHING works!  I click on the start button, nothing happens.  Any ideas would be helpful!  I run a Windows 10 system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Mechanical hard drive?

How much RAM?

I see this every day on engineering laptops I support.  They aren't usable for about 20 minutes.  Those will SSDs boot in a minute and are usable immediately.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

It's not unusual to have 100% HDD activity if you have extensive startup processes, and most people have far more than they think they do.

But, if I were in the situation Kilroy describes (not usable for about 20 minutes) I'd be over my IT department like white on rice.  There's something wrong if a boot up takes that long, regardless of the drive type.  When I have times like that it's usually because the system is trying, again and again, to start something that either has been removed or keeps failing to start and it keeps retrying.

My own system can take between one and three minutes to become completely responsive to me after a Restart or a complete shut down (as in Fast Startup is not enabled) and starting it up again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users