Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Security Applications Can I Have Running Side By Side..?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:31 AM

As a ' Newbie ' Can some one please advise me. ....
you can get the following types security of applications....
1. Anti-Virus
2. Anti-Malware
3. On demand scanners Etc

and many more types, of security applications .The Thing I don't know is how many of each application can you have running on your computer at the same time,
as to not cause any conflicts , or running problems ...? This is what I have on my computer at the moment...

AVG (free)
Spybot S&D (free)
ewido 4 ( paid )
Ad-Aware (free)
SpyWearBlaster
SpyWearGuard

The AVG , does not seem to find any thing,( in my opinion ) so I was thinking of changing to Avast, but I read that having AVG & Avast running together will cause
a problem..? . So can some one please explaine just what security applications I can have installed and running together with out causing any problems, Just looking on this Forum every one seem's to have their own idea of the perfect security set up, This is my first new computer so I am trying to find a good overall security set up. Can you have too many security programs running on one computer, when I keep seeing that no one application will find 'all' the issues out there..? I was thinking of having as many different applications running; as if one does not find an issue then the next one may..?

I am running Windows XP Pro Media Edition, but again being new to the world of computers, switching to another Browser Is some thing I am not too sure about, or confident to do yet..?
Your advice and comments to this 'Newbie ' would be most welcome............ Thanks

Mypenry......................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:23 AM

Hi mypenry.

Firstly, you can only have one FIREWALL and one ANTIVIRUS running safely at the same time without conflict.
As you are doing, you can and should run several different ANTISPYWARE.
Do you have Resident Teatimer enable in SpybotSD - this gives you realtime protection as does SpywareGuard and, I think, Ewido.

What works for me is in my signature below.

If you are only using Internet Explorer, I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you tried Firefox and Opera. I use the three of them with different home pages and quite often have them all running simultaneously, no problem. You do have to keep IE for MS stuff.

Experiment and see what suits you. Plenty of freebies HERE.

Have a look around and let us know how you get on. Good luck and CHEERS.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

2 hard, and fast rules, as rowal5555 stated:
One Antivirus providing real time protection.
One Firewall running (preferably, anything besides Wiindows firewall, as it only provides inbound traffic protection, and not outbound traffic protection).

You can have as many Spyware/Malware Programs as you want, and your system resources can handle, but at a bare minimum I would run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.
I also use:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
ewido - Windows 2000 and XP, only.
aČ free

I run my Antivirus once a week, along with updated aČ free and ewido.
I run Ad-aware and Spybot daily, after an update.
I check for updates every day, on all of my programs.

Once a month I run 3 online scans, just as a precaution:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
TrojanScan

The AVG , does not seem to find any thing,( in my opinion ) so I was thinking of changing to Avast, but I read that having AVG & Avast running together will cause

If it's not finding anything, then your programs are doing their jobs.
Why change, what works?

As for the programs you have listed, that looks adequate, except I don't see a Firewall listed.

but again being new to the world of computers, switching to another Browser Is some thing I am not too sure about, or confident to do yet..?

You can have as many Browsers installed, as you want.
You're not limited to just one.
I have IE, Firefox, and Opera installed on my system, and switch back and forth between them, depending on my needs.
Install a couple, try them out, and see which one you prefer.
Just uninstall the ones you don't want to use, it's that easy.
A list of alternative Browsers, (also as rowal5555 stated :thumbsup:) can be found here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Guy's for the advice and comments,.... I think I will have to look into FireFox , .....do you know if you can access bank accounts who use 128bit encryption with Fire Fox..?

Thanks .......... Mypenry

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

You can access bank accounts with encryption with Ff.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:44 AM

Thanks....jgweed

I will now give it a go, and see how I get on, so thanks for
Comment...

Thanks ....... Mypenry