Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Money Re-Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BarrieB

BarrieB

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

I know there are better more up to date programs to control home budgets but I'm sort of wedded to this one after so many years.  It works on my desktop but that's because it was already installed there when I upgraded it to Windows 10.  I now want to install it on my new Windows 10 64 bit ASUS laptop.  I have the latest update for W10

As Money is no longer supported by MS I now have four different installation options. Original Disk, Export Disk with patch, Sunset US version and 2005 UK version.  All of them go through the install routine but then bomb out with an error message saying IE6 did not install properly and I need to try again manually.  IE6 of course does not work on 64 bit machines.  I do have IE11 but apparently this in't good enough.

There are a couple of Registry edits kicking around which I have tried but this makes no difference.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 traxsdata

traxsdata

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

While searching I also found a registry change that says it would fix this issue

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-microsoft-money-on-windows-10

Is this the same registry value that you changed without success? Did you restart after making the change?

#3 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, this was one of the reg edits I used and I did restart afterwards.  Odd really because this seems to be the solution but it doesn't make any difference.  I also tried using the compatibility options and they didn't work either.  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

The following information is from a article at the Windowsreport website.

Even though Microsoft Money Sunset offers the same features as its predecessors, we have to mention that certain features are missing. For example, you cannot import data files from non-US versions of Microsoft Money. Since all online support isn’t available anymore, you can’t use any of the previously available online features such as bill payment, online quotes, statement downloads, data sync with MSN Money, etc. Keep in mind that there’s no online help and no Assisted Support, therefore if you have any issues you won’t get any support from Microsoft.

You can download this version from the Microsoft Download Center.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hi Tree Hugger

(always wanted to say that without appearing rude)

Thanks for the reply.  That is one of the four versions I have available to me.  As I live in the UK I think the 2005-UK version is the one for me.  Unfortunately they both give me the IE6 error.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Please post the error message for IE6.

On a side note, my user name is dc3.  There is a space above the avatar location where you can add a Member title once you accumulate 1,000 posts.  Previously my Member title was Arachibutyrophobia. :blink:

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2017 - 10:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Oops sorry.  Peanut butter?

screen shot of the message attached.

#8 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Ooops again

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

With Windows 10 you should be running IE12. 

This 2005 version may not be compatible with Windows 10.

Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of having peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. 

#10 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

I don't really use IE anymore.  I've used Chrome since it came out and like it better.  I only put IE11 back because Money seemed to need a version and IE6 certainly doesn't work.  I know Money works in Windows 10 because it works on my desktop.  I'm pretty sure it's the install program that is the problem

I looked up the phobia.  Amazed that there's a word for it.  Not amazed that it exists.  That's what puts me off peanut butter.

#11 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Just for the record.  I gave this up as a bad job but recently had a complete jam and had to reinstall windows 10 from scratch.  Then of course had to reinstall all of my programs.  Imagine my surprise when as a whim I tried the Money install and it worked.  The only issue was that I couldn't save my money file in the various folders I had set up and have to lodge in the root directory of my user account.  But it works.

Computers Eh?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

A true love hate relationship for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users