Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect formatting confusion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

I've been trying to make a rescue disk, as a way of having a total, bootable restore of Windows 10, on a new DELL computer with uEFI Booting.

If I understand, Windows requires a Master Boot Record (MBR) to recognize and use a Rescue Disk. MBR is also the old partitioning scheme that has given way to a new partitioning scheme called GPT. GPT and the new Booting scheme, uEFI, go together like peas and carrots. They are litterally made to work with each other.

The newer drive formatting scheme is NTFS, which has advantages over the older FAT32. FAT32 is limited in File size to 4GB, while NTFS has a limit that is beyond anything a home user would ever need.

If I'm going to make a rescue disk of a new computer with GPT disks and uEFI booting, FAT32 drive formatting is required, because uEFI will not recognize NTFS. (from Macrium user guide) Why wouldn't the new booting recognize the new drive format scheme?

I find this very unintuitive and confusing. I'm hoping there is simply something that I am not understanding. I want to make a single file on an external SSD (a really big thumb drive) but the size is much bigger than the 4GB limitation of FAT32.

To be clear:

I want to create a single, large file (about 80GB) on an external, non-disk SSD formatted NTSF (just like the internal HD is) that will boot GPT/uEFI and install an identical copy of Windows 10, with all it's updated stuff. Isn't that what everybody wants?!?

I'm not sure about which way to go. Is it unfeasible to use an external HD for my purposes? And why would Windows require MBR on a newer system with GPT/uEFI? Shouldn't it be NTFS/GPT/uEFI all the way? Isn't the HD set up like that for the OS? The OS is certainly not broken up into 4GB pieces, is it? This makes no sense to me.

Is this a problem with Rescue Disk, such that I'd be better off to use Disk Image with an added Boot file, or some other option???

What am I missing? (Please imply scattered turret-like outbursts)

Advice/Suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

A GPT disk is not MBR and a MBR disk cannot boot from a UEFI computer unless you select Legacy/CSM boot in UEFI settings.

Why not let Macrium create the bootable disk for you? Macrium can create both a DVD or USB flash drive that will allow you to boot from a UEFI/GPT computer with SecureBoot enabled and also include USB 3 drivers if you computer has USB 3 ports for a faster backup and restore.

You can use Macrium to create a disk image of your computer to the USB external drive. This would be one file. Macrium allows you to mount this image file as a virtual drive to enable you to pull any file from the image. You can have multiple images on the external as long as you have the required space. I would recommend you get a USB 3 1 or 2TB external drive to store your images. USB 3 is backward compatible to USB 2.

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I did, initially, try to allow Macrium create a bootable "disk", to a new 1GB ssd. My home computer is BIOS. The computer I'm working with is uEFI. Using my computer I pre-formatted the ssd as NTFS, seeing no logical reason that it should be otherwise. Then I took it to the location where the new computer is, started Macrium and the Rescue Disk process, following through doing what it said to do. I wound up with an error about formatting compatibility and decided to stop and do some reading and try to gain some understanding before continuing. It sounds like maybe I could have resolved things had I known that I need to go into uEFI and enable secure boot or select legacy/csm. 

QUOTE FROM MACRIUM OWNERS MANUAL.

"To use a USB stick as a boot device, Windows requires a Master Boot Record (MBR) however some USB sticks are shipped without one and with just a single partition. The USB stick, therefore, needs formatting but the standard Windows format option does not prepare the disk correctly as it does not create a master boot record. You therefore need to prepare the USB stick using other tools, for example, Windows diskpart."

It goes on to show how to use diskpart

"...
Type:
clean
This erases all data on the USB stick.

Type:
create par primary
This creates a primary partition on the USB stick using the maximum size available.

Type:
active
To make the primary partition active.

The part that I don't understand is as follows:

Type:
format FS=ntfs LABEL="Macrium WinPE" QUICK
This formats the newly created partition on the USB stick for . legacy MBR booting

If your system has  and uses the newer  standard then please type the line below GPT disks UEFI booting instead:.
format FS=FAT32 LABEL="Macrium" QUICK

*Note: UEFI booting requires a FAT32 formatted partition and will not recognize NTFS.

Do you see; as something of a novice to this stuff, I read here that on a GPT/uEFI computer, I need to use FAT32. It doesn't talk about going into uEFI and changing anything. But you're telling me, I think, that I can go with the first option (format FS=ntfs LABEL="Macrium WinPE" QUICK) and just enable Secure Boot in the computer's uEFI. Is Secure Boot and Legacy/CMS the same thing?

For the life of me, I still think it seems that something here is in need of fixing. "UEFI booting requires a FAT32 formatted partition and will not recognize NTFS" just seems to be a very ass-backwards thing. I'm sure there's some technical reason for it...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

I think your are confusing the bootable media with the drive for storing the images. Do you mean a 1TB SSD and not 1GB?

If the SSD is storing images it should be formatted NTFS. Purchase a 4GB or higher USB flash drive. This will be the bootable device that starts the Macrium Program should your computer no longer boot. Your SSD will hold the disk images you create.

Follow the steps in the link to create a bootable USB flash drive that will boot on a UEFI computer.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/rescue/create_a_standard_windows_pe_rescue_environment.htm

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yes, I meant the SSD is 1TB.

Originally, I formatted the 1TB SSD NTFS.

If I have a 1TB SSD, why do I need to "Purchase a 4GB or higher USB flash drive."

I am certainly confusing something. The "bootable media" is the software. The dive for storing the image, is the SSD. The SSD should end up being "the bootable device" should boot Windows PE software which uses the backed up Windows 10 files to restore or rescue.

If I were going to use 4GB flash drives, wouldn't I need about 10 of them for an image of Windows PE, Windows 10 and boot?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

You are not using the Flash drive to store the Windows images. The flash drive is used only to boot and load the Macrium Program. After booting the flash drive you would select your source drive on the computer and the SSD target drive. You may need to refresh the UI in order to detect the SSD.

You don't want to use the SSD to launch the Macrium Program and also store images.

The SSD is not the bootable device. The bootable device is your USB flash drive. The target drive is your SSD. 

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

+1 JohnC, after booting the MR USB or MR DVD, the SSD would be backed up onto any large-enough-sized affordable external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users