Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I "broke" my Debian PC with Aptitude

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

I was trying to change wine into wine-staging so i could run some games in wine that weren't previously compatible. I had tried doing this with

sudo apt-get install -f wine-staging

but it said it couldn't install. To fix this I have tried using Aptitude. I had run Aptitude to install wine staging. I went away as it was working. When i came back without reading it i pressed y and hit enter then walked away again. When i came back i had noticed the internet wasn't working so i copied the full output of the aptitude and saved it to a file before rebooting. Upon rebooting gnome didn't start.

Here is everything that had occurred: https://pastebin.com/ZG5MseUY (3720 lines so it didn't fit in the post)

Is there any way at all to undo Everything this aptitude did? I would be very grateful for the help.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:09 AM

If there is a way for me to even go back to the default programs that came with installation i would do it. I am fine with restarting, but I really don't want to lose all of my stuff

ooh, i have a signature

#3 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

Line 652 was something you should have declined
0 packages upgraded, 8 newly installed, 791 to remove and 0 not upgraded.Need to get 42.3 MB of archives. After unpacking 3,096 MB will be freed.Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Restore from backup? If not do you have another boot choice? If not perhaps boot something like Puppy Linux on a CD and save your personal folders before reinstalling Debian afresh.

I suspect your /etc/apt/sources.list wasn't standard Debian. Personally I just have two lines and both are Debian Main repositories only (no contrib, no non-free).

Edited by rufwoof, 05 October 2017 - 01:06 PM.

OpenBSD (-current)

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Unless debian automatically stores backups, i do not have a backup. I also have a boot if windows 7 on this which i am using to report the problems. The problem with storing personal folders is that I have a very large amount of them in a ton of areas. Could I not copy the entire home folder and paste that into a fresh installation? maybe even the usr, var folder or whatever else?

also if i wanted gnome to look exactly the same, what could i copy from the original os? I know there is a .gnome folder in /home/tom but is that all i need?

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 05 October 2017 - 03:53 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

bump

ooh, i have a signature

#6 xnite

xnite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

Yea you kinda bleeped this up. It looks like you uninstalled gnome entirely, so the first step here would be to try and install gnome again. The package name for the gnome desktop will be different across distros. On Debian it should just be called gnome, but on older versions it would be gnome-desktop-environment.

Edited by xnite, 26 October 2017 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users