Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deki090

deki090

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have Dell inspiron n5010 with windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and all of the usb ports doesnt recognize any device but provide power for my cooler pad. I formatted my laptop and installed windows and the same problem appears and in device menager under universal serial bus controllers shows unknown device. I also tried to uninstall everything under usb controlers and restart my laptop and nothing changes.
Can it be hardware problem on the motherboard even though it provide power ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Install the necessary drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ed/en/edbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/drivers

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 deki090

deki090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

i installed some chipset drivers but couldnt find usb drivers .. :(

#4 deki090

deki090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

I now see that in the boot option menu there isnt a usb boot option.. I think that i should have but i am not sure

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,713 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

Did you use the automatic driver detection to install all the drivers your system needs?

Some systems only offer USB boot if there is a bootable USB device connected at the time.

Edited by Platypus, 05 October 2017 - 07:49 AM.

#6 deki090

deki090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

I used the automatic driver detection and it found 4 drivers (audio, chipset, network, serial ata). I installed all of them but nothing changes with the usb ports.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

I think this is a hardware problem but you can confirm it by booting a live linux distro on DVD. Boot the DVD and attach a USB flash drive. 

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,713 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

I agree it is starting to look like a hardware fault. It's possible the USB controller could have been damaged without preventing the ports from supplying power. JohnC's Linux Live suggestion is a good one. Also, does Device Manager still show unknown device under the USB controller section? If so, you could call up its Properties and on the Details tab choose Hardware IDs for any of the unknown devices, to see if they are giving any sensible ID.

This unit has two groups of USB ports, both on sub-boards, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-Inspiron-15-N5010-VGA-USB-Port-Board-W-cable-48-4hh03-011/1117967350

One is a Combo USB/eSATA port, which can be confusing, and could possibly have led to something being plugged in wrongly at some point and maybe damaging a controller chip.

#9 deki090

deki090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for replys. You are saying i should try to install linux instead of windows to see if its a hardware problem ? 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

No, do not install linux. You only need to boot the linux disk as it runs in RAM and off the DVD or USB flash drive. 

Mint Cinnamon is a good distro. Burn the iso on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the DVD but do not input any info during the boot process. Wait until you are at the Mint desktop. Attach a device to your USB port. Click Computer on the desktop. You should see your USB device in the left pane.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

#11 deki090

deki090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

I tried that with linux i even installed linux but the usb is not recognized. It most likely is hardware problem with motherboard or something else. :(

Thanks anyway for replying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users