Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bert1

Bert1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Unable to connect to my Email list. I'm on XP, Sp3, IE8, dialup. For some reason my Email homepage list stopped coming up on the screen. It won't come up on any other ways tried either. Please help me on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot in advance. B1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Are you able to get to other web pages?   If so, I would check with your e-mail service provider.  Many sites, particularly those that are concerned about security, have begun to block access using non-supported browsers like IE8.

Another option would be to try using another browser supported on XP, and I don't have any to recommend as I recommend anyone who has XP dump it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

Are you able to get to other web pages?   If so, I would check with your e-mail service provider.  Many sites, particularly those that are concerned about security, have begun to block access using non-supported browsers like IE8.

Another option would be to try using another browser supported on XP, and I don't have any to recommend as I recommend anyone who has XP dump it.

#4 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

Brian, thanks for your prompt response. Yes I can get other web pages. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the computer so I need to ask a couple of probably very simplistic questions. First, how do I go about checking with my e-mail service provider outlook.live (I think if that's it), it was Hotmail before they changed it? I've tried Firefox but have had no success. Do you or anyone have any other suggestions that can help me besides dumping it? Thanks again, B1

Edited by Bert1, 05 October 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hotmail and now the Outlook online service is a Microsoft Product.  I presume your e-mail address is of the form XXXXX@outlook.com.

Have you gone to http://outlook.live.com/ in Firefox and tried to log in to your e-mail account?  If not, try that and see what happens.  If you can't get logged in then give us precisely the error message(s) you get when you try to do so.

E-mail accounts don't just disappear if they've been being used on even a semi-regular basis, and often not at all unless the owner closes them.  The problem here is figuring out what the actual problem is.

I presume you've been using the web interface to get your e-mail since you mentioned using IE8.  If you're using an e-mail client program like Thunderbird, Opera Mail, or regular MS-Outlook then that's another thing that would need to be looked at.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#6 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Brian, this is what I get from Firefox when I try to open my mailbox.

:-(
Something went wrong
We can't get that information right now. Please try again later.

X-ClientId: 7162063CA5204A1A8577F292AF8DE652
request-id 9608a6da-fc97-4902-8d6b-09391a70025a
X-OWA-Error Failed to load script: https://outlook.live.com/owa/prem/16.1946.26.2413077/scripts/boot.worldwide.2.mouse.js?bo=1
X-OWA-Version 15.20.77.19
X-FEServer MWHPR13CA0018
X-BEServer MWHPR1801MB2046
Date:10/9/2017 3:41:36 PM

Fewer details...

This is what I get with IE:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

Thanks, B1.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Bert1,

I am very strongly suspecting an infection of some kind is at play here.

Do you get the same result if you try to open your web-based e-mail interface using someone else's computer?   If you do, I'd suggest that you start a thread on the "Am I infected?  What do I do?" forum where you pretty much cut and paste what you noted above and also mentioning that the behavior is specific to your computer.  Having this information would help to confirm my suspicion.

#8 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Brian, on a W7 computer I am able to get the email list slowly.

Before I came to you, "Am I infected?  What do I do?" said, "I think you may need to start a topic in Email forum so those that know that better than I can help", so I came to you. Did I do right?  Thanks, B1.

Edited by Bert1, 20 October 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Bert,

I really don't know what to tell you.   This sort of issue is thorny.    What, if anything, have you done so far?

One thing I'd definitely try first is downloading Piriform's CCleaner utility, the free version is fine, and running it, only the Cleaner utility, which is what shows up when you open it.  Before running, first look at the Windows tab/column.  If you use MS-Edge or Internet Explorer make sure that the only box that's checked (if it's there) is Internet Cache.  Under Windows Explorer uncheck all the check boxes.  You can leave the System checkboxes as is, and under Advanced check only the Old Prefetch Data and Environment Path checkboxes.   Then look at the Applications tab/column.  I can't know what will show up here since it depends on what you have installed, but for any other web browsers (e.g., Chrome, Firefox) or e-mail clients (e.g., Thunderbird) you have installed and if these checkboxes are present check only Internet Cache and Compact Databases and uncheck the rest.  You can leave all the other categories further down as is.

Befory you click the Run Cleaner button, close out all of your web browsers and e-mail clients, then click it and let it do it's thing.   Do this on any machine where you're having issues.

After CCleaner is complete try what you were trying again.  Report back on what, if anything, has changed.

You also need to realize that IE8 is becoming very unstable and incompatible with a variety of websites as they employ contemporary web coding methods that didn't even exist when IE8 came out in its final version.  I would avoid using IE8, period.

Edited by britechguy, 20 October 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#10 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Brian, I'll do what you recommend and get back to you as soon as I get back, Thanks, B1,

#11 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Brian, sorry for the delayed response, been out of town.

I did what you suggested in your post #9, but sorry to report nothing changed. B1.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

What happens if you try to use a different computer?   This will at least help to confirm (or refute, but I'm guessing confirm) that whatever's at play is specific to the computer you've been trying to use.

#13 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

Brian, on w7 I got my email list, but extremely slow and with days skipped from getting any mail shown at all for those skipped days, which is very unusual. Also, email is not loaded at once as it did before in xp but stops loading and gradually and slowly starts again.

When I try to click onto emails I keep getting this message:
"ERROR:Your request can't be completed right now. Please try again later." Don't know what to make of it! Hope you or someone out there can figure out the solution soon. It's been most inconvenient without mail. Thanks again for your help so far. B1

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Bert,

I am becoming more and more confused because your descriptions seem to be jumping between using a web browser interface to get to your e-mail and an e-mail client to get to your e-mail.

In addition, an infection has never been ruled out.   Since one does not have to be on the "Am I Infected?  What do I do?" forum to suggest downloading and running a scan with Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) that is the first thing I'd suggest you do.  If Malwarebytes finds something then allow it to quarantine it.

Next, it would be helpful to know who your e-mail provider is and exactly how you are trying to access your e-mail.  We need to focus on either getting you set up in an e-mail client such as Thunderbird or similar or the specific web browser and online interface you wish to use.

Also, pick one machine on which to accomplish all this, and I'd strongly suggest your Windows 7 machine.  Personally, I am no longer providing any support for XP platforms.  XP has been out of official support for over a decade now and really should not be being used for any purpose that involves interaction with cyberspace, and that includes e-mail.

#15 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Brian, ran malwarebytes, did what you said to do and quarantined 4 items but still no emails come up. Email provider is outlook.live now which was hotmail before it was changed some time ago. I try to accsess my Email by clicking the icon on my desktop which is set to go to my homepage which is set to Emails to start immediately. Thanks again, B1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users