Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Bitdefender, Now Corrupted & np uninstall help from their support

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

I installed Avast Free, worked fine all day & just came home to find that now Action Center is reporting the Bitdefender, Windows Defender, and Avast are all turned off. Is there some kind of pilcy management I should edit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

What you should do is only use 1 of them, either use WD and uninstall the other 2 or use one of Avast or BD, uninstall the other and turn off WD. Using more than 1 anti virus at the same time is a big no-no and a possible reason as to why you are having computer issues.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

What operating system are you using?

Are avast and Bitdefender both installed with Windows Defender? If so read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

What operating system are you using?

Are avast and Bitdefender both installed with Windows Defender? If so read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic.

Win 8.1

Yes. I cannot uninstall Bitdefender using normal route, or with Revouninstaller (doesn't see it) so I added Avast. Is there a way to Manage the Action Center because something keeps turning all the a/v's off.

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

hateway:

I am guessing here that you installed Bitdefender Free.  When you installed that, it will disable Windows Defender, but not uninstall it, so that only Bitdefender Free is providing anti-virus protection.  I am guessing that you then installed Avast Free last, because normally Bitdefender products will not install if there are any other commercial anti-virus programs installed on your computer, with the exception of Windows Defender.

You should pay close attention to the guidance provided to you by quietman7, one of our foremost computer security experts, here at Bleeping Computer.  Only have one active anti-virus program at any one time!

If it was my computer, I would uninstall Avast Free.  See this link for instructions. Then, if Bitdefender Free is still not working properly, I would use the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and select a "Repair", rather than "Remove" Bitdefender Free.

If you want to keep Avast Free, then you can find the instructions to remove Bitdefender Free at this link.

Bitdefender and Avast will be competing for the same resources, rendering your computer slow, and possibly even unusable, as well as being vulnerable to virus infections.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

I would advise removing avast as well and attempting to repair or reinstall Bitdfender.

Why? avast has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, since Avast acquired AVG and Piriform (CCleaner), avast made a marketing decision to bundle the same kind of crap...Avast Cleanup is promoted as the "Next generation tuneup and cleanup for your PC". Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools. The use of cleaning and tuneup utilities installs numerous files, folders and registry entries throughout the operating system making removal of the anti-virus software more difficult.

And finally there have been many user complaints about avast pushing a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

BTW...there is always the option to just use Windows 8 Defender which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection that provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits (and it's probably easier to use for the novice).

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users