Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot time and Win 10 Creators Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alanem

alanem

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi I got the Creators Update for Win 10 the other day and since then my start up boot time has at least doubled.  Is there anything I can dump to speed things up...like the Creators Update??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

That's odd, very odd, and implies that something didn't go quite as expected in the update itself.

There are a number of things you could try, and I'll suggest reapplying the update following the instructions:

Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

to see if it will let you reapply the update.

If it will not, then you will probably have to go through the clean boot process, often described in these forums. Where you keep doing stepwise elimination of non-Microsoft processes that load at boot time until you narrow down to the thing that's causing the problem.  Do a quick search on this forum on "clean boot" and you'll find a number of threads that describe the whole "division by halves" of processes to find the culprit if you're curious about what it entails even if you don't end up doing it.

You could also roll back to Version 1607 using the built-in roll back feature of Windows Update & Security Settings, Recovery panel.  However, you will eventually have to update to either Creator's Update (Version 1703) or the very soon to be released Fall Creators Update (Version 1709).  Windows as a service is a different world than the days of Windows with service packs once every couple of years (if at all).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

Hi I got the Creators Update for Win 10 the other day and since then my start up boot time has at least doubled.  Is there anything I can dump to speed things up...like the Creators Update??

Don't worry the Fall Creators Update is due shortly.

#5 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:14 AM

Hi Thanks to all.  I'm travelling at the moment so the problem is on hold.  I'm thinking that if another update is due it might be wiser to hang on and see what happens. I will get back however.  Any idea when the UK will see it as we're just getting 1703.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

Hi Thanks to all.  I'm travelling at the moment so the problem is on hold.  I'm thinking that if another update is due it might be wiser to hang on and see what happens. I will get back however.  Any idea when the UK will see it as we're just getting 1703.

Actually, physical location is not the primary factor determining when a given machine will be placed in a cohort for the update to any of the new versions.

At this juncture if you are not up to Version 1703 I would consider forcing that upgrade using the Update Assistant ("Update Now" button) on the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page if you have only one machine to update or by following the instructions to Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file if you've got more than one (this saves a lot of download time since you have downloaded the vast majority of what will be used for all the machines when you obtain the ISO and it isn't downloaded again).

Version 1703 is quite stable at this point in time.  I wouldn't force an update to Version 1709 for at least a couple of months after release (if your machine is not one already included in the earliest update cohorts for Version 1709).  Generally I don't force the version updates at all, but I have upon rare occasion.  I can't see any point in remaining on Version 1607 at this juncture.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hi. Thanks again for the help. I've had Win 10 1703 for a couple of weeks and I think that's what caused my extended boot time and brought about this thread. A lot of people I know here in UK are still waiting to get 1703 so it may be some time before 1709 appears. I'll try a clean boot as suggested when I get home.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hi. Thanks again for the help. I've had Win 10 1703 for a couple of weeks and I think that's what caused my extended boot time and brought about this thread. A lot of people I know here in UK are still waiting to get 1703 so it may be some time before 1709 appears. I'll try a clean boot as suggested when I get home.

As has been pointed out, physical location has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with when a person gets this update. Here in the US it has been estimated that as of Oct. 1, 2017, over 27% of Windows 10 machines still have not received the 1703 update.

I manually install all of my own updates so I am currently running Windows 10 1709. Since this new update is very close to general availability, you could just wait for that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users