Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bringing Old Computer Back To Life

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BuddysDaD

BuddysDaD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

I want to bring back an old computer that belongs to my wife. It is infected with what I cannot imagine. It will not boot up. What I am thinking is to open it up , remove the hard drive and either replace the hard drive and do a fresh install of an OS or formatting the infected hard drive and reinstalling on that drive. My question is would it be advisable to replace the hard drive or will formatting the original hard drive be acceptable? Both computers are Acers if that matters. Thanks to all for any input.

BuddysDaD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

I always try the cheap, easy stuff first...which means I would delete the existing partition as part of the installation process for Windows.

An infection is no reason to buy a new drive, IMO.

Louis

#3 mfrau92

mfrau92

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

In addition to Hamluis, I think you should consider that having an old computer, you could not find the exact driver model you had. So you would buy a more performant drive for a computer having loose specs for this period, so overall you wouldn't gain any better performance.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

If you can give us the model number that would be nice, just keep in mind if its too old it may not be worth your time.

Saying its an Acer does nothing, we would need to know how old the machine is, what kind of hard drives it can take and sofourth.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users