Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad Block Plus No Longer Blocking Youtube Ads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 je10

je10

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Hello, I was curious if anyone has had a similar experience--all of a sudden, I've stated getting youtube ads again, and I think it's because Ad Block Plus isn't working properly, but I don't know for sure.  Previously, after getting Adblock Plus some time ago, these loud, intrusive ads stopped, which has been wonderful, as I like to put on music or interviews while I work.  But now they're back and throwing me off and I can't concentrate! 

From what I gather (please correct me if I'm mistaken on anything), Firefox is making a big change for version 57 that makes certain add-ons obsolete or incompatible "legacy" add-ons. ABP is one of these legacy add-ons, so I am guessing that's why it's no longer blocking youtube ads. 

Looking for solutions, first I looked to reinstall, thinking perhaps that would magically update it out of legacy.  But searching for add block plus yielded this "adblock" option which isn't actually "Adblock Plus":

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/getadblock/

So from the reviews this seems to be either a knock-off of ABP or a modified, slightly weaker version that they renamed.  Is this a legit, trustworthy add-on or is it a look-alike trying to ride ABP's coattails? Is it safe/recommendable? I should note, when clicking "add to Firefox" there's a little dialog bubble that pops up and says this add-on must have permission to access my web data, tab data, etc.--is that safe? I don't remember ABP asking for those permissions, but I got ABP a few years ago. 

Next, I went to the ABP site and a post the founder made, linked here:

https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/web-extensions-builds-are-now-the-official-adblock-plus-for-firefox-development-builds

He says to download a "development build" here:

https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

But when clicking the link for the Firefox version, a dialog bubble says Firefox prevented this link from installing software on my computer (the options are allow or do not allow).  Is this ok? Does anyone have any experience with this version?

So basically, should I go with this "Adblock" that looks like it's a 57-compatible ABP, but is not technically ABP, or should I go with a development build of ABP?

As a side note, I also notice in my about:add-ons list, HTTPS Everywhere is also legacy--should I be concerned that I'll lose that too?

Ok, I think that's everything, please let me know if anyone has any experience with this.  I don't actually know if ABP becoming a legacy is the issue--stuff like Ghostery seem to be working as normal...and I associate a functioning ABP with no yourtube ads.

Anyyway, thanks for any advice you can offer!

je10

Edited by je10, 04 October 2017 - 08:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Try Adguard

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adguard-adblocker/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Or uBlock Origin

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 je10

je10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.  Are there any pros/cons to each of Adguard or uBlock Origin?  I get the impression ABP is like the "Coca-Cola" of ad blockers--assuming that's true, which would you say is the "Pepsi"?  Or are they all generally the same high quality and it just comes down to which one you got to first?

Thanks for any further advice, I really appreciate it,

je10

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Adblock Plus was the first and, for a very long time, could be argued as being the best just because they were the first and did their job well.   A lot of people had a fit and dumped them, saying that "they'd gone over to the dark side," when they began allowing select unobtrusive (by their definition) ads to come through by default in order to fund themselves.  They did, however, make this 100% obvious when installing and also gave the user the opportunity to opt out.  I can't imagine that they don't still do this, and it could be that the ads you've started seeing fit their "unobtrusive" definition, but I doubt it.  Remember that these ad blockers rely on definitions, much like antivirus programs do, in order to recognize what should fall under the "ad" class and be blocked.  You can add specific things to your own private list if they appear and don't start getting caught very promptly.

I have to say that I like uBlock Origin better in many ways, but the one thing I don't like (or haven't been able to figure out how to do yet) is to temporarily disable it on one site/page or permanently disable it on same.  Adblock Plus made this easier.  That being said, it is much better at blocking a number of other objects (as it's not just an ad blocker) and allowed me to eliminate a couple of other add-ons in the process.  It's also light on resources.  I believe it's originator is a former developer for Adblock Plus who jumped ship when they announced the "unobtrusive ad" policy and he objected, strongly, based on the history of the product and principle.

I have never used Adguard, but John's recommendations tend to be excellent ones and I would not hesitate to try it, either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 je10

je10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Ok, Britechguy, I'll give uBlock Origin a try off the strength of your review. 

Update:

It says it needs to access my

-data for all websites

-read and modify privacy settings

-access browser tabs

-access browser activity during navigation

Are these all acceptable conditions? I'm not terribly tech savvy so it sounds like this will read my login stuff... I don't recall ABP asking for this, but again, it's been forever since I got it so I may not be remembering well.

I'm using this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

which looks to be the one you're referring to, but maybe I'm not on the right one...

Thanks for any final pointers in this area,

je10

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

That would be the one.

I am not going to answer your question with the "bullet list" directly, but guide you a bit.  Think about what an ad blocker does.  As you glide your way from webpage to webpage, what does it have to do to block ads?  What does it have to know about in order to block ads?  Then review that list and you can probably answer your own questions.

No ad blocker that I know of could read password information even if it wanted to, and no legitimate developer would want to.  The last thing in the world you want to have, unless you're a nefarious hacker, is anyone else's password information.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 je10

je10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Ok, just wanted to confirm that these aren't extraordinary/dangerous conditions and that this is the real-deal uBlock Origin (since I almost went for the ABP look-alike). Again, I don't really know what goes on under the hood, so I can't quite apply the Socratic method. But for reference, I do know when looking into into anti-malware advice on this site earlier, there were some services that had been recommended by this site's guides, but that had more recently fallen out of favor due to policy or function shifting at those services and were thus no longer recommended when speaking to the author directly, despite the outdated guides saying they still were recommended, so I'm just double-checking that these are still in good standing.

So, I'm relieved to find this is the genuine article, but just to confirm: everything they're asking for here is not extraordinary or predatory, right? 

Thanks as always for your help on this,

je10

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

You wrote, in part:

It says it needs to access my

-data for all websites

Of course it does.  It has to read every single web page you visit and compare elements against known ads.  Absolutely expected.

-read and modify privacy settings

Yes, at least if you use certain features like advanced cookie blocking, which may tweak the native cookie settings in the browser.  There are others.

-access browser tabs

Since there's not a web browser that I know of that's currently supported that doesn't employ tabs, and tabs are part of browsing, . . .

-access browser activity during navigation

Many ads and malicious software get triggered as part of the process of navigation.  Pop-ups are triggered by navigation, so it has to watch what's going on during navigation to do its job.

Also, ignoring all of the above, if you're trusting me to tell you this, and it appears that you are, and you know that I actually use this particular ad blocker myself, what does that imply about my opinion of its safety and reliability?   I don't use things I don't trust, and I don't often (I won't say never) recommend things I don't use or haven't used at all, ever.

Edited by britechguy, 04 October 2017 - 04:30 PM.
added a missing clause for clarity, no substantive change

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 je10

je10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Right, based on the how heartily you recommended it, and that you use it, that was pretty much enough for me, but like the earlier situation, when speaking with a mod, (if I recall correctly) he said he had to stop or planned to stop using a service he had once whole-heartedly recommended and whose recommendation he had pasted into his original response to my initial inquiry.  So I was just hoping to clear that one last double-check that all recommendations were still up to date, everyone's still satisfied with the service, and that the language they use is nothing to be concerned about--just a nominal check, like how you give your door a quick turn to confirm you've locked it before heading out, even though you know you just did. 

Ok, off to hop on the uBlock train, thanks so much for your help, best wishes,

je10

[Update: It worked! Peace at last! Thanks again to Britechguy!]

Edited by je10, 04 October 2017 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users