Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous Hard Drive Access

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Goose54

Goose54

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

My hard drive led is on continuously, and I can hear the drive running all the time, even when no applications are running. This seemingly goes on for hours, as long as the power is on. I am worried that my hard drive may prematurely fail. I have no viruses or spyware, as a check every couple days. My computer seems to run normally, other than running more slowly and sometimes takes several minutes to turn off. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

The first things that come to mind are: do you have enough memory? Not enough memory will make the computer use the hard drive much more as programs use swap space. You should have a minimum of 512 MB Ram, and one gig is even better. If you only have 256 MB Ram, it's not enough to even load Windows and startup programs without using swap.

The second thing is: have you defragged your hard drive? Fragmented files result in far more cycling to assemble random bits of files into memory.

If the problem is neither of those things, then you may have some sort of infection.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Alternatively, your computer may be having difficulties accessing the HD. Run a diagnostic on it to make sure there aren't any problems with it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

How much ram do you have, what is the size of your hard drive, how much free space does it have, and what size is your page file set for?

#5 Goose54

Goose54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

I have 1 meg of RAM, it is a 60G drive. 22G free space. I don't know how to check what my page size is. My drive was recently defragged. Is there a way to find out what program or process is accessing the drive?

Thanks.

Edited by Goose54, 20 September 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

To check the page file size, right click the My Computer icon, click properties, then click the advanced tab. Under Performance, click settings. Then click the advanced tab, and finally at the bottom of this screen it will tell you the size of your page file.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

You can look in the task manager to see what aps are running (ctrl/alt/del), but Windows itself uses maintenance processes when other aps are not consuming the available resources so it will continuously be running.

Additionally, you will always have aps and processes running in the background such as your AV program, anti-malware aps that provide realtime protection, your email client, your software firewall and your network adapter if you are using broadband or are on a network.

When you open the task manager look at processes as well as aps that are running but do not change any settings as you can easily hose your op system by stopping required Windows processes.

#8 Goose54

Goose54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

So, I guess there is no way of knowing what process is accessing my hard drive. I do have anti-virus and anti-malware real-time protection running, as well as a firewall and network adapter. I will look at the processes running and see if there are any that look suspicious. Other than that, I guess I have to live with it. I no longer leave my machine on all the time, I turn it off when not using it.

Thanks

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

Yes - look at the processes running in the task manager.

The ones at the top of the list are using the most resources.

If you need help identifying the processes post them here and we will help you but usually it's easy to find out what they are with a Google search.

#10 Goose54

Goose54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

Ok, thanks for your help. I'll check it out.

#11 Goose54

Goose54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

I think I've found the cause of my problem. I have Mcafee Security Center and it has realtime scanning that goes on in the background. I believe that is what is accessing my hard drive all the time. I could disable it, but I would be making my computer more vulnerable to viruses and spyware. Is anyone else running Mcafee and having this same problem?

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

You can download filemon to see what files a process is accessing in realtime. The program can be found here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

Actually this is a good idea for a tutorial :thumbsup:

#13 Goose54

Goose54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

I discovered the fix for my problem on the McAfee tech support website. It is listed in the Internet Security Suite forum under sticky post: mclogsrv.exe excessive CPU utilization workaround. It involves disabling the mclogsrv process and then deleting any log file larger than 5K. Worked like a charm. Thanks to all that responded to my post. Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the update! It'll help others who come looking for help with a similar problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users