Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Disk Usage at ~10MB/s

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bebopx86

Bebopx86

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

I've been noticing some performance issues where neither RAM nor CPU usage appear to be the bottleneck. At most, on any given day, I'm only using half of my 8GB of RAM and maybe 20% of my CPU. What I am noticing, however, is that lagging is always accompanied by Disk usage being at 100% (in task manager). When I look at the transfer rates, it runs into 100% Disk at around 5-10MB/s, which seems awfully low. The computer can achieve 15-20% Disk when idling and 100% when performing very basic tasks. I believe the performance issues clearly have something to do with writing/reading to/from my hard disk, but I'm not sure what the issue is. Should I expect to regularly hit 100% Disk? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
To be a little more clear, I'm trying to figure out why so little reading/writing speed is causing the 100% Disk. It doesn't appear that a single process is reading or writing to my hard drive considerably, but very small activity .1-1MB/s has a serious impact on the disk usage.

Things I have done to attempt to repair this problem:
(1) Turned off the superfetch service

(2) Turned off Windows Search service

(3) Adjusted the pagefile to a constant 2GB

(4) Performed Disk Fragmentation

(5) Performed several disk checks (chdisk)... checked the S.M.A.R.T values

(6) Plenty of performance optimizations, too much to enumerate here.

(7) Ensured all of my Toshiba Satellite drivers are installed and up to date (chipset, bios, etc etc)

Some information about my computer:

Toshiba Satellite S55-C5363
Windows 10 64-bit home premium

Intel Core i7 6700HQ

nVidia GEFORCE GTX 950M
8GB DDR3

Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1TB @ 5400rpm

Edited by Bebopx86, 04 October 2017 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

You posted that you are having performance issues, but you don't mention if the performance has recently changed or if you simply just noticed the usage?  Is the computer not performing as it normally does?

By the way... the text that you left the link to contains your product code. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bebopx86

Bebopx86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think the speccy log was that revealing... 

Anyway, the problem has persisted for a while. The computer is operating as it normally does, but I do not feel it is operating as it should because it only seems to have issues when reading and writing from the disk, but not when performing computationally intensive or memory consuming operations. Something like Photoshop or Matlab can operate perfectly, while file explorer and Cortana can bleep the bed, and that makes zero sense to me outside of the context of a hard drive issue.

EDIT:

Reattached a more heavily scrutinized speccy log. 

Edited by Bebopx86, 04 October 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Please follow the instructions below to paste the needed link in your topic.  There is a great deal of information in a Speccy Snapshot, and a lot of it is not needed in most cases.  I would rather peruse the content that I want to see.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Bebopx86

Bebopx86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LiRNt5y80mV3WQA7u2izZ25

#6 Bebopx86

Bebopx86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

Anything? (Sorry to bump)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

I apologize for the absence, I lost track of this topic.

Why is Windows Defender disabled?

There wasn't anything anything really serious found in the Speccy.

Your C: drive originally had a capacity 466GB, it now only has 58GB of free space.  This is getting full enough that it could be responsible for some of the slowness that you have experienced with your hdd.

Please do a Reset

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security, then Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

#8 Bebopx86

Bebopx86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

I disabled Windows Defender (via registry, because Windows 10 doesn't allow you to disable it anymore) because I regularly scan with Malwarebytes and am usually very careful about what programs I execute. I thought that (maybe) windows defender scanning files could have been contributing to the 100% disk issue. I don't feel that I need it running. 

I'm going to see if I can identify the 100% disk problem on my own, without reinstalling the operating system. I can't afford to go through the process of reinstalling all of my third party programs, many of which I don't have access to anymore because they were installed through my university. I appreciate all the help you've given me thus far. If I can't figure out the issue, I'll go buy an external HDD and back everything up to a disk image and then perform the OS reinstall. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users