Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Social Media Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

I know Facebook and Twitter are still reasonably popular, but they have began to start censoring people based off there political beliefs although I don't really use social media all that much outside of YouTube and Google+. So I'm offering some alternatives to services such as Twitter, Facebook & YouTube. If you have any sites you found that want to share please feel free to. :)

No:1  Minds its sort of like a cross between Twitter and Facebook https://www.minds.com/

No: 2 Vidme is an alternative to YouTube. https://vid.me/

No: 3 Gab is a Twitter alternative. https://gab.ai/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

why is an alternative needed when the none of the aforementioned is being used.  Many years ago, when this all started with bulletin boards, you picked the particular genre of topics and logged in.  Found it to be then as some complain now about "trolls".  Main reason many people stopped using their personal radios (GMRS, FRS, CB) when the foul language was more than most could bear.  First, I protect my identity, will seldom join a site initially with real info.  I have many user names I rotate with specific email addresses to track which sites will sell my info and they get chopped.  Experienced the same problem with magazine subscriptions, as they were selling mailing lists that were three years old.

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

Sorry for the late reply I've busy.

The reason why its important to have alternatives to the social media giants is to preserve freedom of speech and to offer competition so as not to allow monopolies.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Forums as these is about all of the social online social media I'll ever do.

Never had any need for a Facebook account although most people I know seem to be on Facebook 24-7 which I never will understand. :scratchhead: 

Guess I'm to old school as I still use the telephone and my cell phone for keeping in touch with family and friends. :thumbup2:

Toolman :)

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Never had any need for a Facebook account although most people I know seem to be on Facebook 24-7 which I never will understand. :scratchhead:

Guess I'm to old school as I still use the telephone and my cell phone for keeping in touch with family and friends. :thumbup2:

Yeah I don't have a Facebook account either, I'd much rather have a discussion here then on social media people just seem more polite and rational on this site compared to most social media sites. :) But I do watch a fair amount of YouTube and it doesn concern me how YT is censoring people on there site I think its just a matter of time before YouTube becomes a shadow of its former self because there going to chase away so many people.

#6 SlippinJimmy

SlippinJimmy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

http://forums.nexopia.com/forums/attention-seekers.30/ Doesnt censor unless its nudity or gore. You can post all the political stuff you want.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

http://forums.nexopia.com/forums/attention-seekers.30/ Doesnt censor unless its nudity or gore. You can post all the political stuff you want.

Thats funny cause the corporate establishment news breaks these rules all the time. 

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Typewriters destroyed penmanship, calculators turned mathematical minds to mush and spell checkers... 'nuff said.
Starting with email and now social media and the texting rage, is verbal communication on its way out too?

It's convenient for many though.  Like Toolman, I prefer personal communication whenever possible.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

Haha, that is well said, never thought about it that way, but you are right :thumbsup2:

Typewriters destroyed penmanship, calculators turned mathematical minds to mush and spell checkers... 'nuff said.
Starting with email and now social media and the texting rage, is verbal communication on its way out too?

It's convenient for many though.  Like Toolman, I prefer personal communication whenever possible.

"The world is a dangerous place, Elliot, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Mr Robot

#10 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

There are open chat protocols like XMPP/Jabber and IRC which are still kicking around today although have been on the decline since proprietary messaging has risen and mobiles have become more used. Mastodon and diaspora* are two good decentralised social networks.

#11 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

I would disagree about spell checkers. Have you read some of the letters that are posted? 

Edited by georgehenry, 08 November 2017 - 06:42 AM.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

I know Facebook and Twitter are still reasonably popular, but they have began to start censoring people based off there political beliefs although I don't really use social media all that much outside of YouTube and Google+. So I'm offering some alternatives to services such as Twitter, Facebook & YouTube. If you have any sites you found that want to share please feel free to. :)

No:1  Minds its sort of like a cross between Twitter and Facebook https://www.minds.com/

No: 2 Vidme is an alternative to YouTube. https://vid.me/

No: 3 Gab is a Twitter alternative. https://gab.ai/

Social Media Alternatives?

How about meeting groups of people for real!  No "social media" involved.  

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

Yeah I don't have a Facebook account either, I'd much rather have a discussion here then on social media people just seem more polite and rational on this site compared to most social media sites. :) But I do watch a fair amount of YouTube and it doesn concern me how YT is censoring people on there site I think its just a matter of time before YouTube becomes a shadow of its former self because there going to chase away so many people.

YouTube is something different than Twitter or Facebook.  YouTube is a great system for presenting a variety of demonstrations, displays, performances, help-guides, discussions and interviews; so many things.  It does not need to be split from social media, but it is different.

#14 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

@ cafejose

Yeah having a local meeting places could prove to be pretty nice, theres nothing like talking to someone in person. :thumbup2:

But YouTubes comment section is the social media part of YT and it can be quite toxic.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

Social Media Alternatives?

How about meeting groups of people for real!  No "social media" involved.  

Yep I have to agree, how about meeting groups of people in person for real.

The wife and I go to Church functions you know dinners and dances etc and we have a blast and that is an excellent form of socializing with others. :thumbup2:

We also have neighborhood functions and dinners throughout the year and again an excellent form of socializing with others. :thumbup2:

I guess being in our middle sixties we know what real socializing is and the enjoyment we have being involved.

Only my opinion.

Life is good. :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 March 2018 - 04:27 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users