Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 File Share

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drnate

drnate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hello!

I am a volunteer (non-trained) offsite computer technician for our church.  This is a peer to peer network with computers running Windows 7.  Our office manager stepped down and I want to change her login information so the system remains secure.  Her workstation is the central location for most of the church's files.  Other users use her Windows account for file sharing (i.e. when the connect to that workstation, and the computer prompts them for a username and password, they simply use hers).  If I want only the new office manager to know what the password is, do I also set up accounts for each human on her computer?  Can I hide them on the login screen so the new manager is not overwhelmed by the number of users?

Thank you for looking through this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

I don't know much...but having multiple system users run through one user account...seems to me to be an incredible violation of basic control and system access.

Each user, each person...with access to any data on a given computer or network...should have her/his own account, with access privileges determined by a responsible person in charge of network/system security.

The procedure for sharing files...between valid users...is determined by simply following the file-sharing protocols for Win 7 on each system.  However extensive or however limited such may be...in terms of data volume...should be determined by each system/network user.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#3 drnate

drnate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

OK. Thank you (sorry so late, I had regular job stuff that took up some time).  So it sounds like I should set up multiple accounts on the office manager's computer.  Can I hide them withour disabling them?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

There is some good information regarding multiple user accounts which can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

You should also ensure that the user accounts are NOT administrators. Best practice is to set up one admin account, restrict who has access to that password, and then set up regular user accounts for all other users, and in a workgroup environment set up those local accounts only on the computers they will be using.

This will create issues when users try to do things like install software, but you probably don't want them doing that anyway...

#6 JoseRichardson

JoseRichardson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

Yes, you can set up account for each user. 
On Windows, the “Public” user’s folders are accessible to all users. You’ll find this folder under C:\Users\Public by default. Files you place in any of these folders will be accessible to other users, so it’s a good way to share files. 

To set a security for file folders right-click a folder anywhere in the file system and select Properties. Use the options on the Security tab to change the folder’s permissions and make it accessible to different user accounts. You’ll need administrator access to do this. Hope this will help!

#7 drnate

drnate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thank you for the help!  Is the public folder accessible to anyone whether they have credentials or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users