Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS Drives that spin down entirely

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rboone2020

rboone2020

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Folks,

I'm considering building a NAS for true cold storage.  I don't need to have the drives spin continually, and would rather they all but shut down between accesses.  That would save wear-and-tear, noise, etc. at the cost of some spin-up time.  But it is difficult to find a drive designated to do that (WD Red spins 24/7 apparently, etc.).  Continual spinning would be many hours of active drives every week for just occasional access.  Is there a type of drive designation that I don't know about that stops spinning between uses?   Or a switch on most NAS that support that behavior?

Or am I jumping into an argument akin to the decades old discussion about whether one should turn their computer off or leave it running ...?

Thanks,

Randy

Edited by rboone2020, 03 October 2017 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

I have three Drobo 5N units and there is an option to spin down the drives when not in use.  Right now the 5N is bargain priced as it was recently replaced by the 5N2.

#3 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Interesting.  That's good to know, Kilroy.  Thanks for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users