Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Inspecting and Selectively Enabling/Disabling Services

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bebopx86

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

I'm in the process of trying to give my computer a speed boost, both on startup and during runtime, and know that windows services can sneakily contribute to consumption of RAM and cpu cycles, but the list of services is pretty extensive, and it can be a little difficult to determine which services constitute core functionality and which services are extraneous and can be changed to manual start. What approach should I take, if any, to analyzing Windows services? Does anyone have a workflow for this? Do you know of a way to identify services which ( a ) consume the most memory and ( b ) are working the most behind the scenes (without being integral to the core operation of my computer)?

Edited by Bebopx86, 03 October 2017 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,173 posts
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Services are an integral part of the Windows operating system.  I would leave these alone unless one is known to be causing problems.  Look in the  Task Manager under the Processes tab to see what exactly is showing excessive use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jenae

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hi, you might be aware that services.msc only shows a small number of "services", there are in effect some 670+ services.

This machine is a test machine and has many services set to disabled,18 services have been completely removed from the system.

With an identical spec machine, after a clean install it is almost impossible to quantify any performance difference, using services alone, our reason for removing services has more to do with the security issues then anything else. 

Unless you are having a specific problem, and it relates to a service, it is probably best to leave them alone, as already advised.

Increasing RAM and employing a fast SSD are the easiest ways to improve performance. Removing app's that you don't need and limiting downloaded programs, maintenance (clearing temp files etc, and most importantly keeping away from unnecessary optimizes, and third party AV's, all the home user needs is Defender and Windows firewall, along with a malware scanner such as SuperantiSpyware (free). Places like this are safe and there are many people who will give you good advice, use them if you have a problem.

#4 Bebopx86

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Thank you. I have taken this advice into consideration and not heavily scrutinized my services, however I do still suspect there are non-essential services running relating to software I have installed in the past that makes use of external ports (such as FTP software, and SQL databases, etc). I think I have narrowed down my performance issues to another problem entirely that may be related, but probably is not. My new thread is here:

Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users