Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install Firefox ESR on a Windows XP machine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IGeekJazz

IGeekJazz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

I have at least 2 Windows XP SP3 computers that were running Firefox just fine until last month (I assume that is when Mozilla stopped supporting XP). I have read Mozilla's forums that state I can only run their ESR version on XP machines now. I actually think (but now cannot verify since I can't invoke FF anymore) that I was running the ESR version before it stopped. I downloaded the ESR version 52.3.0 from Mozilla's website to a thumb drive (today I downloaded ESR version 52.4.0 but have not tried it yet). I uninstalled the current version of FF then saved the install file to the computer and ran it. The install appeared to complete successfully but I still cannot invoke FF on the computer. Is there some other cleanup or method that I need to use to update or install FF so that it will run on my XP machines?

When I attempt to invoke FF I receive:

Mozilla Crash Reporter - We're Sorry

Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts.

I have tried to retry and always get the same crash so normally just closed out the popup crash reporter window. I have also taken the time to explain what happened when the crash occurred in the field supplied by the reporter.

BTW, I am having the same problem with Mozilla Thunderbird on these same computers!

Thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Firefox 52 ESR is the last supported version for XP so 52.4.0 should work. Does firefox still crash when opening in safe mode? Hold the shift key and double click the firefox icon.

#3 IGeekJazz

IGeekJazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have not installed FF 52.4.0 yet, I think that I currently have 52.3.0 on the XP computer. I just tried holding the Shift key while double clicking the FF short cut as well as when clicking the icon in my system tray and both ways I still get the Mozilla Crash Reporter popup.

Should I uninstall FF again and attempt to install the newer 52.4.0 version? When I installed the 52.3.0 version I also ran the CCleaner cleanup tool on my Registry to clean any residue. Is there any other cleanup tool or method I should use after uninstalling FF before I install the newer version?

Thank you very much.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I have XP, using Firefox with automatic updating.  I have 52.4 on my system, last time I looked, it was 52.3 installed.  So autoupdating works properly.

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

I would uninstall Firefox after backing up your bookmarks which can be found in the profile folder. After uninstalling firefox I would also delete the mozilla folder in the hidden Appdata directory. You will need to show system folders under File Options in XP.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data#w_how-do-i-find-my-profile

As a temp measure you could install the portable version of ESR. Double click the exe and install to a folder on your desktop. See if firefox crashes.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users