Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FX 6300/8300 + RX 480 build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NoobSaibot

NoobSaibot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hello, first time poster and also first time builder here. I have slowly been getting the parts for the following build.

CPU: FX 6300/8300

Cooler: Raijintek Themis

MOBO: GA-970A-UD3P

RAM: 2x 4gb Ripjaws X 1866/9 ddr3

GPU: Asus ROG Srtrix Rx 480 8gb oc

SSD: Sandisk SSD plus 240gb

PSU: EVGA G2 650w 80+ gold

Case: Zalman Z3 plus

I have all the parts apart from the CPU and the SSD (I also plan to get more RAM soon) and I have a few questions before I make the last two purchases.

1) Is the FX 8300 worth the extra £ as opposed to the FX 6300 for gaming? (just seen the fx8320 black edition for £70 same price as fx 6300 I guess it's a no brainer to get the 8320?) Which is best for overclocking and what sort of overclock should I be able to achieve in theory?

2) I have no internet connection at home at the moment, and I don't paln to buy a DVD drive. What potential issues will I have installing windows/drivers etc?

3) The Raijintek themis comes with a mounting bracket for AMD/Intel sockets, the problem is the motherboard seems to have it's own bracket for a gigabyte cooler already attached. Is this something I can just unscrew? And does anyone have experience with the themis thermal paste?

4) The zalman z3 case come with 4 pre-installed fans (1x rear, 2x top, 1x front led fan) and also has a fan controller for 2x fans, my GPU also has 2x fan headers. What is the best way to wire them, would it be rear to mobo, 2x top to gpu headers and front led fan to psu?

Would really appreciate any help and also any advise for a first time builder (or on the build itself) because this sounded quite easy but now I have all the parts and getting ready to actually build I feel quite overwhelmed by it all.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

1. For £70, FX-8320 is quite good deal. I'd get it over FX-6300.

2. No problem if you can download drivers from internet and put them into USB stick. You also need to obtain Windows installation media to USB stick. You will have big problems if those fail.

3. Remove current bracket and replace it with Themis' one. Just unscrew it.

4. It really doesn't matter where you plug fans unless you want to control them and certain headers have control options you want.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

No i say wrong move as a good Ryzen system would only cost a little more.

A Ryzen 3 1200 would be better than a FX 8300, its a old processor wit not so good gaming performance with even the lowest end Ryzen being far superior.

Sure the FX may be better at mutithread but that matters little for gaming

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 October 2017 - 11:44 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 NoobSaibot

NoobSaibot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

so is there any difference between the 8300 or 8320 or just the way they are binned?

is this windows installation media fool proof or is it common for it to fail.

could you please explain to me the pros and cons to using the gpu header for the fans as opposed to the fan controller.

and are you sure the bracket for the cooler is removable im very hesitant to take a screwdriver to my mobo

an also madman my mobo is not the correct socket for the ryzen.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

8300 has higher turbo but slower base clock and lower TDP. So basically 8300 is slower when using all cores but bit faster when using 1-2.

Windows installation media is quite proof itself assuming it has been made correctly.

There are no usable fan headers on your GPU, motherboard has some. Motherboard headers probably offer better automatic speed control while manual control is probably easier on case's controller.

I have never seen unscrewable mounting brackets on AM3(+) retail motherboards. SO it's very good guess that is screwable.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 October 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

So you already got your Mobo then?

I would return it if you just got it, its really not worth going to an outdated architecture with no future.

If you are looking for an upgrade then you would still be better going to another platform.

I know money is tight but this sort of thing will be more of a detriment

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 October 2017 - 02:25 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 NoobSaibot

NoobSaibot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Driling machine

The Asus Strix Rx 480 has 2 x gpu controlled fan headers. I understand how to connect the 1x rear fan, and 1x front led fan. I was just wondering the best option for the remaining 2x top fans since the case has a fan controller also for 2x fans (i.e would you connect to the 2x top fans to the fan controller on the case or gpu controlled headers on gpu). And regarding the mounting bracket on the mobo, like I said I just wanted to double check as there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer that I could find online.

madman

Yes I have all the parts except the ssd and cpu as I have had to slowly get the parts one by one due to financial restrictions and as it took longer than anticipated unfortunately the return deadline has ended. Would you advise to sell my mobo ddr3 ram and cooler, put the money I make with the £70 that I was going to spend on the fx 8320 and get a Am4 mobo, Ryzen cpu, ddr4 ram and a new cooler, is it worth the extra money/hassle in your opinion?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Oh yeah, it really has 2 fan headers. It just depends on which fans you want to control and how. As I previously said, GPU headers probably offer better automatic speed control while manual control is easier on case's controller. I think case controller does not have any automatic speed control. How you connect fans is up to you. There is no definitive answer.

For mounting bracket, everything is possible but it's almost certain it's just screwed in place.

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

An R3-1200 is about $100-$105 now, which when OC'd easily to 3.9 GHz, equals i5-7500 perfomrance...?

Unless getting some super deal on an FX8350 and mainboard combo for $100 total, and very with little interest in gaming performance, the entire FX series seems a hard sell in today's environment, although they do offer basic functionality (surfing, encoding, file server, virtual machine practice, etc, for few dollars these days...useful if on a VERY tight budget, granted).

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 NoobSaibot

NoobSaibot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

So what is the difference between the R3-1200 and the 1300x? Is it the same deal as the FX6300-6350 and 8320-8350? (i.e get the cheapest chip and overclock to same speed?)

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Basically yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users