Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Freezing Up While Downloading.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Fresh install of XP home. All Software is updated. All security and updates for XP are onboard. When I try to DL the latest software for my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse the DL stops at 99% then IE locks up.

I have done......Per the MS web page....

+ 1. Install the latest security updates for Internet Explorer 6
DONE

+ 2. Make sure your Windows software is up to date.
DONE

+ 3. Install, run, and regularly update your anti-spyware and anti-adware.
DONE

+ 4. Turn off unfamiliar Internet Explorer add-ons.
DONE (turned off ALL add ons)

+ 5. If you are running Yahoo! Toolbar, download a fix.
NOT RUNNING THIS

+ 6. Update your antivirus software and perform a check on your computer.
DONE FOR THE MOST PART

SO now what do I do? Its hung 19 times today. What other info do I need to supply for you to help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

Well you can do a few things, we can try to find out the problem, or you can switch to firefox. If it's stopping at 99% I can only think it's a corrupt file your trying to download, try to download from a different source.

#3 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

The file I'm downloading is from the Logitech site. I had downloaded it before my system crashed.

I did get it to finish finally. Not sure what I did differently. I still have problems with it freezing. As for FF, Unlike many, I chose to stick with MS and IE. This is the first time I have ever had trouble with it. That includes 3.1, 95, 98, 200, ME, XP MCE, XP tablet and XP home.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:12 PM

Problems with IE freezing or problems with the system freezing?

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

Apparently just the window, just letting you know, firefox is... ah well not a debate site. Be sure that the options for your internet is not being messed with, or were not messed with on accident.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

I've had this problem in the past - unfortunately my fix was rather drastic. I reinstalled Windows. :thumbsup:

A repair of IE might be of some help tho': http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/

#8 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

Great info. Thanks folks!

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

Did it resolve your problem?

#10 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

Well, no problems so far. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

#11 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

Well, its not fixed. However, I got an iteresting message after a system shutdown and reboot. I got the "Your system has recovered from a serious.........." After sending the info to MS I got a web page back that said that the problem is one that has been taken care of in the upcoming Vista release. No fix was recommended. Whats up with that? They aren't going to support XP sp2 anymore either?

#12 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Sooner or later they will stop, but microsoft wants your money as opposed to wanting your respect. What was the error message?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

They will support XP Home for two years after the release of Vista and XP Pro for five years beyond that in secondary support.

If there is a contact specified in that web page I suggest you contact them about it.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

Try checking your Event Viewer around the time of the error message. Usually the errors will be written to the Event Viewer when they occur. Here's a how-to on using it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Then post back with the information on the error and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

Is the Logitech site the only one giving you this result?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users